Lessons Learned

Lessons learned

I am going to share with you some things I have picked up on the HARD way, but first a little background:

My first tank was a small hex from wal-mart in 1999 2 fancy gold fish that crooked not long after setting it up. Replaced the fish learned how to cycle a tank. Replaced the fish kept them till I moved they went to lfs or died I can't remember.

My second tank was a 10 gallon tank I thought I hit the big time clown puke and all. Fish died I replaced them I end up with 2 small Oscars in there thanks to wal-mart and some bottom feeder . put tank in storage and moved after about 2 years

Tank number 3 as a 33 gallon tall that bowed like a s.o.b that was a total not what to keep together tank. When moving the tank for some reason the black bottom fell off the tank. it went back to petcetra.

Tank 4 my second 33 is when I discovered a gem of a store in Nanaimo BC. It was called "My Fishtank" and when my tank first started to take direction with some live plants and fish that could live together, it started to come together. I still was getting fish from were ever though. I move the whole set up to GP with no dead loss. Home depot pails in a u hall mid-September.

Tank number 5 was my first 55 gallon tank and it replaced the 33. Canister filter, lights, fertilizer.... well on my way to being a plant nut. Sold it all, got out of hobby for 4 years.

Tank 6 was a 55 gallon tank starter kit. Replaced everything on it. It was the first tank I went in to with a stocking in mind. I wanted blood parrots. I set it up in September of 2010 planted from day one slowly upgrading stuff. Discover the parrots dig a lot. Converted to a community tank. Tank 6 got sold.

Tank 7 is a 75 gallon tank 4x54w total 216w of t5ho lights on about 12 hours a day. My substrate has a mix of 2 bags fluorite and 3mm stone about 6 bags total. I am dosing the seachem line of fertilizer comp, trace, potassium and iron. My co2 is at 2-3 bps 24/7 though a small powerhead. Temp is about 77f. Filters are both eheim pro 3 a 2075 and a 2073.

Tank 8 is 27 gallon plant cube 36w of t5ho and a double bright led that came with the tank. My substrate is 2 bags of black fluorite sand. co2 and lights are on for 12 hr a day. I went with a inline heater and a eheim pro 3 2071

Now to what I discovered.

• The bigger the box of water the more stable the box of water

• Test kits are worth the money

• Just because the fish are in the same tank in the store does not mean there meant to be kept in the same tank

• you can't put just any cichlid with any cichlid, they're not all happy housed together

• A 2 inch pleco could end up being over a foot long

• Do research read books and online

• Do not deal with your local big box cat, dog, lizard, bird and fish store for livestock if you are looking for quality/pure lines

• Take what the filter is rated at and subtract 30%. If a filter is rated for 100gallon tank by the manufacturer, in reality it is good for about 70 gallons. they all lie on the box. It is like horse power or fuel mileage manufactures lie.
  • IMO I have discovered it is best to deal with one store and ideally the same staff member. You get to know who is on what days etc. they get to know you and what your tank is about and the direction you're taking it.

• If you see lots of dead fish or sick fish for sale i.e. with ich or other ailments it is not a place you want fish from. Every fish store out there has death loss and they get sick fish in when they get the orders. The good store will write 'not for sale' on the tank and will even explain what the fish have and how to treat it.

• Ask stuff like "Will my set up be ok for this fish?". They should ask about your tank, and help with suggestions as to what will work.Don't buy your fish and your brand new first tank on the same day.

• Cycle the tank (fishless method is best) and then buy fish once your tank is ready for them. Or kick-start your tank with mature media from a fish buddy's tank.

• Big cichlids and plants do not work out in the long run

• Research on how deep to plant your plants they can rot. Some plants don't like planted in substrate at all.

• Carbon is not required in your planted tank, save your money it just removes your fertilizer

• Ich medication will turn your silicone green

• A high quality heater is worth the extra 3 bucks

• Mail order stuff from overseas does not always show up

• Fish keeping is more than just a box of water in your living room it is an expensive box of water

• Real fish nerds don't use clown puke. The paint chips off

• Lego does not always work for you in a fish tank, it floats if you don't build it underwater or fill the pieces with sand. I was so pissed to discover this

• Do water changes in bare feet or sandals, socks just get wet

• A python water changer dose not drain in to the sink very well use a gravel vac and a pail

• Fish are addictive

• Plants are even more addictive

• DIY co2 is a pain in the @$ just spend the money and go high tech

• Landlords do not like fish tanks

• Scientific names are a pain to say

• Water changes are part of fish life

• Do not leave your glass cleaning razor blade where it can cut your foot

• 2 year olds love to look at fish tanks

• 30 something year olds love them as well

• Do not pour a bag of substrate right in to your tank, big dust cloud

• It is sometimes easier to trick a fish in to a net breeder with food then to chase with a net

• Prime stinks

• Rubber made tub are amazing fish tanks

These are just some of my lessons feel free to add your own

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything here sounds good, except what do you mean prime stinks?

Do you mean it's a bad product or it just smells bad?

Edit

I never tried Lego in the aquarium but now that you mention it..... Lol

Edited by Sprucegruve

LOL this is great! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

PRIME STINKS!!! My mom can attest to this every time I open the bottle in the living room ahahahah

Lessons:

-DO NOT Let glass lids slip from your fingers when you're closing them. (oops)

-Fish keeping can get expensive, but this forum is full of great people willing to help

-Don't cheap out on equipment, you'll end up buying that snazzy filter when the crappy one just isn't enough for your standards :D

-Your favourite fish -WILL- die one day =[

-Aquariums will eat up your spare time :P

Edited by ridethespiral

Everything here sounds good, except what do you mean prime stinks?

Do you mean it's a bad product or it just smells bad?

Edit

I never tried Lego in the aquarium but now that you mention it..... Lol

Prime might smell bad, but it is an excellent product. It is the only de-chlorinator that I will use.

lol loved the list...though I've no idea what you mean by clown puke...I've read that in a few other posts. What is it referring to?

and I think I'll be trying the lego as well...my daughter would love it, and so would my husband lol

Ahh, okay. I recently got rid of my colored gravel for sand...so much nicer looking! Easier to plant plants too. Harder to gravel vac though...been trying to figure out the trick to that lol

I always make sure I know what fish I'm buying now. I had bought a golden algae eater after being told it was a siamese algae eater and it just had a different color...my poor dwarf frogs paid the price for the mistake :/ Took the fish back and got a refund...and came home with an Oto to later find out they like being in groups...bought it a friend and 2 Corys...original Oto died and the the others are happy being a group of 2 Cories and a lone Oto. Won't they be surprised when I get my 55 gallon up and get some friends for them lol

sand is quite easy to keep clean. you don't need to vac it the same way as gravel. just swirl your gravel vac tube above the sand, about an inch, and the vortex created will suck the poop right off the top of the sand. when you do water changes, give the sand areas that are open (not planted) a bit of a stir with a chopstick or other pokey type tool, to help avoid gas pockets that can build up underneath. plant roots will keep the planted areas of your tank free of gas pockets, and having malaysian trumpet snails will help too, since they will burrow and aerate the sand.

That sounds a lot better than sucking up sand through my syphon lol I'll give that a try, thank you :) and I have the perfect stick like object to use...a drink stirring stick XD Should be good to use after a good wash. They're barely used...I usually just use a straw and suck up all the alcohol at the bottom >.> At least I already got the trumpet snails, though I could use a handful more...they don't breed fast enough lol

not only does prime smell bad, but recently i learned that when you splash it on your face/clothes.......wash your face right away...and throw away the shirt. it came out of the wash looking like bleach hit it!!! pooh. well, i'll just be more careful, as it surely is the best stuff out there!

to heck with Tide, go with the power of Prime! hahahaha!!!

another thing with Prime, if it dries on a surface (kitchen table, counter, whatever), and you go to wipe the table with a wet cloth days later, you'll have lovely Prime aroma wafting up at you instantaneously. bleh.