15G Long Dry Start

ubr0ke

I have finished the hardscape but not really sure what plants or fish will be going in....I tossed in some downoi just to see how they do during a dry start...I plan to document everything from substrate to co2 setup..Right now i just threw some mixed gravel in to play around with hardscape ideas but i will be exchanging before planting....I think ill try flora base with sand in the front...

DSC01634.jpg

looks great! love the layout of the stones. did you get them at a lfs? Also, did you remove the rim from the top of the tank?

Looks pretty cool, nice stones also. IMO though, I think you should try to build up a main feature that attracts the eye. Rule of thirds doesnt just apply to photography, and the best looking tanks use it to full potential. Perhaps before getting to far into it, try out a few more hardscape designs to see what visual improvements can be acheived using the same materials. A couple of options would be...

2/3 of the stones on one side, and 1/3 on the other, while using a corner sloped substrate to raise the stone up near the back and creating a center path in between features. Similar to this:

inspiracao_big.jpg

Or bunch the stones together to create a larger center feature, while sloping the substrate down in all directions. Loosely shown by this:

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2008/03/cheap-scapes-tips-for-budget.html

Take it with a grain of salt though as this is comming from someone who has never set up an aquarium and only studied them long and hard :P I take aquarists skills/techniques and use them in my vivarium designs though, so it does relate quite a bit. Good luck!

Looks good, one thing you may wish to consider is the height of the rocks. Right now they look good, but once you have things growing and/or carpeting, they actually are quite low. Maybe you will can pile the rocks so that when you get 1.5-2 inches of growth you will still be able to see them and appreciate them. Just a thought. Good looking start so far.

Thanks Lips....Its actually petrified wood from a couple different places.....big als and aqua giant...

Yes I did remove the rim...its a pita...

Grimm...I have designed igwami scapes before but I find in the long term they are really hard to keep up...With this scape the focal point will be the background plants with strategic placing of moss in the rocks..I have a pretty good idea of what I want it to look like but its going to be a challange..After I get this started maybe you can give me some tips on my next project..My fire bellied toad tank...I have never really attempted a vivarium..

Jayba...Ya i was thinking the same thing...Once I get the substrate in...I'll work on different elevations for the petrified wood..I need everything at the right height to create the illusion of a hill so that will be a challange...

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been working out of town but should be back thursday so I havent even touched this tank..Hopefully soon Ill have some time to work on it.

• 5 months later...

started a new dry start. Its a 5 gallon...hc at the front...glosso in the middle, some moss in the holes of the rock you cant really see yet and deciding what stems for the back..pic is not the best due to humidity and a cell phone but Ill post it anyways...

tank 5 gallon.

fluval plant substrate with added ferts.

sprayed with tank water from ei dosed tank.

2 18 watt t8 lights.

2411393335_photobucket_52369_.jpg

Edited by ubr0ke