Discus Per Gallon

Taurus

Got a corner bowfront 36 gallon fresh water aquarium set.

4 Discus

2 Bristlenose plecos

9 cardinal Tetras

4 Black Neon

1 Clown Loach

2 small catfish (can't remember the name)

I would like to add 1 more Discus but would prefer 2 so that I have a complete set of 6 Discus. I'm a little wary that they won't be happy in a 36 gallon aquarium if I did go to 6 Discus. Does anyone think I would be overstocking my tank?

I've had this tank now for 4 months and they are all healthy and active. I only have had 1 death and it was an overstuffed Cardinal tetra who was eating too much.

My tank is also a planted tank with natural driftwood and with an Aquaclear water filter.

I don't know much about discus other then what I have seen at the local Lfs. They do get rather large and will out grow the 36 also that's a lot of fish in a 36. I would say no more fish in there

For 6 adult discus to be happy and healthy, I'd recommend a 90gal. If you're wanting to keep the fish you have long term, think bout upgrading to a 66 gal or more. You can always add smaller fish once you upgrade, but you're already looking at not enough space when your fish grow.

Got a corner bowfront 36 gallon fresh water aquarium set.

4 Discus

2 Bristlenose plecos

9 cardinal Tetras

4 Black Neon

1 Clown Loach

2 small catfish (can't remember the name)

I would like to add 1 more Discus but would prefer 2 so that I have a complete set of 6 Discus. I'm a little wary that they won't be happy in a 36 gallon aquarium if I did go to 6 Discus. Does anyone think I would be overstocking my tank?

I've had this tank now for 4 months and they are all healthy and active. I only have had 1 death and it was an overstuffed Cardinal tetra who was eating too much.

My tank is also a planted tank with natural driftwood and with an Aquaclear water filter.

All depends on what you are looking to get in the end. What is your goal?

as damtrees said the rule of thumb is 1 per every 10 gallon, but it does not mean you can put 2 in a 20 gal tank.

For 6 adult discus to be happy and healthy, I'd recommend a 90gal. If you're wanting to keep the fish you have long term, think bout upgrading to a 66 gal or more. You can always add smaller fish once you upgrade, but you're already looking at not enough space when your fish grow.

+1. Personally, seeing how big discus get, I wouldn't put any in that size tank. They would be much better in a large tank. This is a good excuse to upgrade to a big tankthumbup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Discus must be kept in groups (at least 5) to be happy and spread aggression. Even a trio will soon become one.

At 10 gallons per adult, your tank is simply too small.

Time to upgrade or change your stocking plans.....for the fishes sake!

i know i diddent start this subject, but i need help with this one.

i have some discus coming to me in a couple months(4 WC),i cannot get more that 4

i will be keeping them in a 150 gallon tank,will this be enough room for them.

also will they kill each other if i do not have more than 5 to spread aggression?

I think that their behaviour will speak volumes. If your fish are all healthy and acting normally, aren't showing aggression and are breeding, I think this is a good sign that you should be alright with just the 4 of them. One thing to consider is the age of the fish. If they are juvenile, you won't know how they are going to really, truly behave until they are mature. I think that's the true test. Sometimes a fish keeper cannot provide the perfect environment. Let's face it, it in the wild, fish shoals can number in the hundreds and it's not like we could reproduce this in an aquarium. So I would say it's possible for you to be successful with them but you may want to have a back up plan if it doesn't work out in your favour.

Good luck

i will be keeping them in a 150 gallon tank,will this be enough room for them.

also will they kill each other if i do not have more than 5 to spread aggression?

150 gallon will give lots of room for the 4 fish.

It is important to know the age of the discus you are going to get. As you know usually juvenile discuses are kept in a group of 5+ because of aggression, in the smaller group what likely to happen is the weakest one will always be threatened by others that will result in sickness and becoming stunted.

I noticed that all your tanks are planted, if that is the case and your 150 gal is planted I would seriously consider going bare bottom if you discus is juvenile and you are planning to grow them to a good size.

Hope it helps.

im getting alot of mixed reviews so i have decided to go bare bottom with plants tied to wood.

if this does not work well them i will try adding sand and more ground lvl plants.

i only plan on keeping the discus in here untill hopefully two pair. then they will go to a different tank and the fry will be raised in the 150 gallon