Lighting For Large Tanks

Pikeaholic

Hi there...I have two 150gal tanks (5 feet long) & one 220gal tank (6 feet long) & am looking for some T5 lighting for them...

any suggestions???

Do you plan to go high tech or low tech?

for 6 feet the best option to go is 36"x2 imho, better bulb choices, easier to sell.

for 5 feet..hmm....24" + 36" ? :)

build a hood, or canopy and go to your local hardware home depot like store and get some UNDER COUNTER halogen lights ,

the benefit of halogens is you can acctually pic your kalvins so you could buy 6 lights and run 2 of 10000k and 2 20000k and whatever else your after and then you will have full spectrum super stupid bright and it wont cost you 10000 for some t5 set up whose bulbs need to be replaced eveery 6 months

the only downfall is halogens get HOT as poop

my 2 cents

or if you wanna do the damn thing you could order a few HID HEADLIGHT KITS off e gay and get your wire on , im just saying

Hi there...I have two 150gal tanks (5 feet long) & one 220gal tank (6 feet long) & am looking for some T5 lighting for them...

any suggestions???

Do you plan to go high tech or low tech?

for 6 feet the best option to go is 36"x2 imho, better bulb choices, easier to sell.

for 5 feet..hmm....24" + 36" ? :)

I had a 135 that was 6' and it had a 1' brace across the centre, so I used 3x 4' fixtures and overlapped them in the middle.

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!!!! I looked up Big Al's online and found a marineland slime profile fixture but only comes in sizes up to 5 ft....there is also led lighting fixtures but from the reviews I read, people say it makes there fish look yellowish and washes the reds away........that's why I was thinking of staying with T5's........

I think for my 6ft tank I will go with two 3ft fixtures..........when I checked out the prices for some of the salt water tank lights......WOW!!!

up to $10,000 for one fixture....that's crazy!!!!.....thanks for now.....