6G Fluval Edge Planted Tank With 10G Sump (Pic Heavy)

Cgy_Betta_Guy

This is my first Fluval Edge that I have had for close to 2 years now. Finally getting around to actually putting this into a journal. Though I have had this particular tank quite a bit before my Fluval Edge salt FOWLR I never got around to doing modifications to it until recently.

Started out with the stock tank and used a Zoomed 501 mini canister filter hidden in the back of the tank for the initial setup which did a decent job but it didnt quite fit in there. You can see the slight bulge of the plastic

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

I replaced the stock halogen lighting with MR11 LED SMD light bulbs as most other people had been doing. I also made a supplemental U shaped LED light that wraps around the top of the tank out of an automotive LED light strip covered in shelf edging from the hardware store. You can refer to my DIY moonlight thread to see more info about the LED light strips.

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

And what it looks like on top of the tank. Gives me decent lighting all the way around the perimeter of the Edge tank.

IMG_0388.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

Back in July I finally got around to modifying the tank in the same manner as my SW FOWLR. A new over flow and 10G sump were attached to increase the water volume of the system. The only extra feature that this tank has that the SW tank doesnt is the addition of a spot where I can mount a sponge to hopefully keep baby shrimps from making it down into the sump. Here you can see from the back side looking towards the tank where the overflow holes are drilled into the rim. The foam shown is just cut from a filter foam block and is held up to the overflow holes by 2 acrylic tabs that stick out. In hind sight I probably should have made this one whole peice that goes across since the sponge sorta sags in the middle with water going through it.

IMG_4389.jpg

This tank has only had fish in it maybe twice since I bought it with the rest of the time being devoted to shrimp keeping. I had been trying without much success to have baby CRS survive more than a few days and only recently have I seen progress on that front. I was surprised when these guys emerged so and looking so nice! I will credit the new sump for that!

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

IMG_4477.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

I just recently decided to take a different direction with this little Edge tank in order to make it easier to maintain and not get overgrown like crazy. Planting smaller plants that wont outgrow the tank will hopefully help me with that.

This is what the tank looked like back on 20100604

IMG_0340.jpg

and what it looks like today

IMG_4541.jpg

A pic with 10 gallon sump and plant storage/planting area. I am planning on having the sump with a reverse photoperiod to the tank so that nutrient uptake and oxygen production is fairly steady. Not sure if it will be that beneficial or not but figured I would see.

IMG_4535.jpg

next to the SW tank

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

• 2 weeks later...