Native Fish?

jeremoose

Hey all, was just wondering if anyone has a native fish tank with Pike, Pickerel, Perch, or Trout etc.. I'm thinking of getting a large tank and starting a Perch tank and I'm just curious to see what's out there. Additionally, anyone know where you can buy native fish or whether or not it's legal to "collect" them?

Edited by jeremoose

Wow lots of interesting stuff here. I will have to really delve into it and see if it's completely illegal or what the deal is. Of course I wouldn't dream of keeping a native tank if it was illegal but it's still a shame.

But yeah, just in response to the comment about room temperature being too warm: if I were to have a native tank (if it was legal) I would keep it in the garage where it stays cool year-round.

Actually, depending on what fish you want to keep keeping native fish is totally NOT illegal.

What is illegal is harvesting young fish from lakes to keep in aquariums.

So whatyou need to do is buy captive bred native fish.

Here is the governments list of suppliers for "fingerlings"

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/div6187

Heck, I'd suggest you start with "feeder rosy reds" and ask for the grey coloured ones. These are in all actuality, Captive-Bred Native Canadian Fathead Minnows.