Hybrids! ( Flowerhorns )

rED O

Right now they are in a 65 gallon. Yes its small but I am upgrading to a 120 tomorrow. For filtration I have a reaction 4 canister filter with a uv sterilizer rated for 130g, a marineland penguin 500 filter ( I think thats the name) rated for 55 gallons, and a cascade 300 is rated for 30g. So 215 gallons of filtration, Iam doing not bad!

Going to try and breed them.

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

see you are still at it a bit...Im in australia for the winter ...but will be back at some flowerhorns when i get back..heading to thailand after this I may pick some out.

.have you had any luck yet? have they shown any interest in eachother?

I would have tried him with a really nice female red devil or red parrot and tried to get some color on those babies..........good luck

You might have a bit of trouble breeding that pair. The one on the right looks like a low grade male. Most female flowerhorns have a black stripe covering the lower portion of the dorsal fin from front to back. You will also need a piece of slate under the divider, and put in a small fountain pump on the males side of the tank pushing water over to the female side. Lots of live food and water changes on a daily basis. If you are successful, out of 500+ eggs you may get 2 - 3 good looking fish, but you won't find out what they look like until they hit the 2 inch mark. Good luck.