Where To Buy Bettas

geebs

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times. I'm new to these forums and I'm curious as to where people buy HM Bettas in Edmonton.

I recently purchased one from BigAl's ... is that the only place?

Are there no breeders?

Should I try to import one from Thailand (or is this insane)? How much does this usually cost? Any websites recommended?

Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide!

Edit:

You know, now that I'm thinking about it more.. I guess I'm looking for a local breeder... are there anymore around?

Edited by geebs

Thanks guys! Is aquarium central on 111ave? I'll have to go take a look some time soon.

Also... do you think the quality of the bettas locally are better/worse than imported? I'm not really looking for show quality or anything (I think) but the bettas I see locally are very generically coloured...

Depends on who you have selecting your Bettas when you import them I suppose and what you like.

I've imported many hundreds of Bettas in my time...and so has fishclubgirl and sometimes you luck out and get several beauties, while other times you get something you definately did not care for. The LFS gets theirs imported too, so if you don't like theirs, then you might want to look at somewhere like aquabid to find the specific one you like. It will undoubtedly be very expensive though. ;)

Here's a thought; check with your lfs and see when their shipment comes in so you can get your pick. One of the reasons I import mine is so I can keep the best ones(even if it's 100 or so!!!). You can also try Betta Breeders Canada for locally bred bettas too.

I just got back from aquarium central and while I didn't see find a betta I wanted, I did get lots of help from their super friendly staff. I also got put onto their mailing list so that I know when their shipment comes in just as fish club girl says! I was also really happy to see that they don't put their betta's in little jars!

Btw fishclubgirl, do you breed/sell bettas at all?

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I was thinking nobody was around based on the last posting dates! What a pleasant community :)

Edited by geebs

Depends on who you have selecting your Bettas when you import them I suppose and what you like.

I've imported many hundreds of Bettas in my time...and so has fishclubgirl and sometimes you luck out and get several beauties, while other times you get something you definately did not care for. The LFS gets theirs imported too, so if you don't like theirs, then you might want to look at somewhere like aquabid to find the specific one you like. It will undoubtedly be very expensive though. ;)

Can you list any sellers you have been impressed with or use often? Thanks!

what kind do you want?

I would look into all kinds if you had good sellers. I like half moons the best though.

The biggest issue I have is knowing who to trust, so if you had sellers that you've had no problems with that'd be great.