New and different babies

HOSStile

I bought a pair of Copadichromis Borleyi Mbenji Gold at the mini CAS auction for a couple of bucks, another reason why you AA people from Calgary should join CAS...... besides the snacks are great. Anyway I see that the female is holding, wait the appropriate amount of time, about 25 days and net her out. On my way downstairs she spits out the kids, something I am quite used to with my other fish, and put mom and brood into a 10 gal. I had cycled. Mother looks bored, kids are gregarious and huge, eating First Bites and some are big enough to eat NLS growth formula. I don't know if there is a common name for these fish, they grow large, about 6 inches and growing and the male is gold with blue head. I know that in the wild they eat plankton, thus their eyes are larger than other Africans (to see the plankton) anyways I am telling you all this because I as usual will offer the little guys up for adoption to those that are interested. -ham- -ham-

Edited by HOSStile

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks more like this. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_borleyi.php Does't have the long ventral fins like your pictures. I wasn't a hundred percent sure because I had to decipher the hyrogliphics that were written on bag from the auction. Oh and thank you all. :D My Male is definitely more more like this Copadichromis borleyi "Gold Fin" as they discribe it as he has yellow fins and tail as well as body. When he is not showing off he turns more of a blue. I will try to get a picture of him in both modes.

In the mood....... when I put his girlfriend back in tank. :heart:

Completely out of the mood.... when I show him a picture of my first wife. :cry:

Edited by HOSStile

I can see the resemblance to protomelas I have yet to see a picture of a female c. borleyi. Funny you should mention Kyle, because he was at the auction and was asked to identify them prior to sale. He had a few ideas at the time. :)

BTW too early to see fin colors on babies, will keep you advised.

Edited by HOSStile

Here is Mama, when I got them there was very little difference between them other than the male had a little more blue in the face.

That is certainly not a female Copadichromis, of any species. The Copadichromis females have three dots on their sides, as well as faint verticle barring. Picture here: http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/haps/borley_F.jpg

With the lateral stripes and body shape it certainly appears more likely to be a protomelas species.