Calgary Betta Spawn Log "with Live Tank Feed"

Mahawka

Hello members of the Alberta Aquatica,

Here is a link to a live feed to the tank. http://justin.tv/mahawka

I am fairly new to this forum so please forgive me if I violate any rules. I am working on mating two of my betta fish. The male is a double tail blue/ mustards gas, and the female is a purple/ red plakat. I am using a 10 gallon tank that is about half full. The water temperature is at 83 degrees. I have found that that temperature works the best for me. A Styrofoam cup that has been cut in half is used for a place for the male to blow a bubble nest. Also a corner filer on minimum flow to keep the tank clean. Both of the fish were conditioned for a week on an alternating diet of worms, pellets, and live brine shrimp. I will try to do daily updates to the spawn log to keep you guys in the loop. With any luck I will have a few shots of them actually mating. So any way here it goes.

Day 1. (Dec10) Introducing

Both fish are moved from the conditioning tank into the breeding tank. The female that Is named Molly is showing extreme interest towards Mustard (name Male betta). Molly is showing very visible vertical bars and also dancing/ flaring in front of Mustard. Mustard is also showing interest in Molly by swimming from the Styrofoam cup to Molly

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Day2. (Dec 11) Bubble nest

When I checked the tank this morning Mustard started a bubble nest under the Styrofoam. The pair still show strong interest towards each other.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Edited by Mahawka

Day3. (Dec 12) Not looking well

Well hopefully you guys have enjoyed the live feed that i have put up. If you are interested in doing your own just sent me a message and i can help you out.

This morning the pair are not looking too well, Molly is really damaged but she still has her vertical bars. She still continuously engage herself into Mustard's bubblenest so i guess that's a good sign. I think Mustard's bubble nest has decreased in size, but he still blows a few bubbles here and there. As you can see in the live feed that he is still chilling under his nest majority of the time.

If you guys have any suggestions or requests feel free to just post something.

IMG_0245.jpg

Molly's Damaged Fins

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Still has her vertical bars.

Edited by Mahawka

Day 4-5. Game over

Well i am sad to say that the spawn did not work out. On day 4 the bubble nest decreased in size by half. Mustard also started eating all the eggs. :(

On day 5 the bubble nest disappeared and no eggs could be found. Mustard was then removed for recovery.

I guess this journey is over. But i will try again with the same pair in about 3-4 weeks. Molly is starting to recover from the damaged fins. I have put her in my healing tank which consist of higher temperature and aquarium salt.

I will began to condition the two once again and i will keep you guys updated.