Co2 Regulator Build

ubr0ke

I received my order in the mail today so hopefully this weekend if I have some time I can pick up the remaining parts.

Heres a few pics of what I have so far.

Dual stage Prostar Platinum Stainless Steel Regulator

co2reg.jpg

Stainless Steel Berkert 6011 Solenoid with Buna seals

berkert.jpg

2506 Din with led

din.jpg

Stainless Steel Ideal needle valve V54-1-12...This was fairly expensive but the precision is well worth it...The vernier metering handle is awesome.

ideal.jpg

pres.jpg

I still need to grab some fittings...Ill continue when I pick up the rest

Edited by ubr0ke

So I finally got around to picking up some of the fittings I needed. Im still looking for some co2 resistant tubing but everything else is ready to assemble.

First fitting is a 1/4" hex nipple. I used teflon tape but you can also use a pipe compound containing teflon. With teflon tape you need to make sure not to get close to the start of the threads where the connection is being made. If you do little pieces might fall inside clogging up your solenoid or needle valve.2411393335_photobucket_58922_.jpg

The hex nipple will be fitted to the regulator on the out flow side. Most regulator's use 1/4" but not all so if your planning on building one of these make sure you find out what size fitting your going to need.

2411393335_photobucket_58923_.jpg

Use a wrench and make sure fitting is nice and snug.

2411393335_photobucket_58924_.jpg

Next you will want to remove the low pressure gauge to make room for the next fit.

2411393335_photobucket_58926_.jpg

Next fitting is a 1/4" female to 1/8" male reducing elbow. Co2 equipment appropriate for use in our hobby is 1/8". The reducing elbow male side will be attached to the solenoid. I fit this before fitting to the regulator due to a lack of room. If using a Berkert solenoid make sure you attach so flow is in the right direction...Flow is in P...out A...If using a different solenoid contact manufacturer for correct flow direction.

2411393335_photobucket_58928_.jpg

Next you can fit reducing elbow to 1/4" nipple.

2411393335_photobucket_58930_.jpg

Next fitting to add is 1/8" male elbow..

2411393335_photobucket_58931_.jpg

Make sure when fitting this together you have an idea of where you want the fittings to sit. With small fittings you will run out of thread before you can make it around again. If this happens stop, remove and re-tape with teflon. Do not just back the fitting off or you will have leaks.

2411393335_photobucket_58933_.jpg

Next is the Ideal needle valve.

2411393335_photobucket_58932_.jpg

Fit this to the 1/8" elbow.

2411393335_photobucket_58934_.jpg

Next fitting I will get into more detail when I track down some co2 resistant tubing. Its an instrumentation fitting that goes from 1/8" npt to 1/4" tubing.

2411393335_photobucket_58935_.jpg

And here is the co2 rig all setup except for the tubing.

2411393335_photobucket_58936_.jpg

I will finish the rest after christmas. I also have a check valve I need to add but I had to order and it should be here early January.. any questions?...comments?..

Edited by ubr0ke

First fitting is a 1/4" hex nipple. I used teflon tape but you can also use a pipe compound containing teflon. With teflon tape you need to make sure not to get close to the start of the threads where the connection is being made. If you do little pieces might fall inside clogging up your solenoid or needle valve.

The same problem can occur when excessive pipe compound over-runs the leading threads of a fitting. If it does, simply wipe the ends before making the connection.

Make sure when fitting this together you have an idea of where you want the fittings to sit.

uber-important

What for a bottle do you plan to use?

First fitting is a 1/4" hex nipple. I used teflon tape but you can also use a pipe compound containing teflon. With teflon tape you need to make sure not to get close to the start of the threads where the connection is being made. If you do little pieces might fall inside clogging up your solenoid or needle valve.

The same problem can occur when excessive pipe compound over-runs the leading threads of a fitting. If it does, simply wipe the ends before making the connection.

Make sure when fitting this together you have an idea of where you want the fittings to sit.

uber-important

What for a bottle do you plan to use?

I'll run a 5lb bottle. I have an empty one laying around. Ideally I would go with something bigger but I live in a condo and the tank Im using this regulator on is in the living room..