MelaFix@

Smokey

I used to own a couple retail stores for the better part of 18 years, and talking to some store owners now, they say that they have heard within a few years, most of the medications will not be available for the fish/pet stores. I heard that as well when I owned the stores and that was 13 years ago. So who really knows, I guess we will have to just wait and see for ourselves. Im sure companies are developing or at least working on some kind of natural products for the fish hobbyist.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just put my festivum in Melafix to treat some damaged fins in a quarentine tank. Within 10 minutes he was gasping for breath and upside-down! I quickly scooped him out of quarentine and threw him into another running tank…5 more minutes he would have been dead FOR SURE!

I had TONS of aeration, filtration, ect….I am nervous to EVERY try this stuff again :(

• 5 months later...

I might suggest that in addition to operator error being a large reason for inconsistent results, I think there are unrealistic expectations at play here. There is no such thing as a miracle drug, natural or not. Every fish and every fish wound should have individualized therapy, sometimes calling for TTO, sometimes not.

When it comes to antibacterial properties, it should be said that bacteria can become resistant to natural products just as they do antibiotics.

I don't every see TTO becoming a prescription medication, so it'll be available for the long term. However many of the other drugs available online or at petstores will one day be off the shelf. Currently due to lack of availability for professional help, people are forced to play doctor when they have sick or injured fish. Until this changes, these drugs may be allowed to be sold without prescription. However, there is also pressure to control antibiotic use from everything to pet stores to cattle, as bacterial resistance is becoming a major issue.

Ian

• 1 year later...

11 years later, and a little update on this discussion.

Not overly conclusive by any means, but certainly interesting. Dr. Edward J. Noga and the North Carolina State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, are very well known in the aquatic world when it comes to their work involving fish health. Dr. Noga's book on fish health/medicine is pretty much the bible for anyone involved in this field, including every vet that specializes in fish.

http://www.exoticpetmedicine.com/article/S1557-5063(15)00026-9/abstract

Laboratory Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy for Melafix (Melaleuca cajuputi Extract)
Abstract

A study was performed at the North Carolina State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, to assess the safety and efficacy of Melafix, an aquarium product produced by Mars Fishcare Incorporated. Studies were carried out on the goldfish (Carassius auratus), a freshwater species, and the false percula clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris), a marine fish. Animals were monitored closely and evaluated microscopically after exposure to Melafix according to the label directions for a period of 28 days. Water-quality parameters were monitored on a daily basis. The use of Melafix on goldfish and clownfish appears to be safe as no adverse effects were noted during the experimental period. The results also showed that Melafix has no effect on the water-quality parameters tested. In vitro efficacy studies were conducted by determining the minimum inhibitory concentration and minimum bactericidal concentration of Melafix on various pathogens. The study revealed that Melafix had no significant bactericidal or inhibitory effect on any of the pathogens tested. This observation suggests that anecdotal benefits of Melafix are not owing to antibacterial activity. This topic requires further research and possibly an in vivo study.

Reading a scientific journal on the efficacy of medication (Melafix) is a breath of fresh air! So much anecdotal information out there, makes my head spin.

Thank you for posting this RD.

Andrew

No problem, glad to help shed some light on this product. If anyone has access to the full article please post the various pathogens that Dr. Noga and his group used in their study. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I have twice had success with Melafix. It's one of the few treatments safe for use on stingrays. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. If you don't have rays feel free to use whatever you choose. My final thought is:

If it is effective at treating a fish that is super sensitive to most commercial medications then how toxic can it be? Check water parameters before you treat and follow the directions on the label.

• 9 months later...

Lesson learned..some fish..like people are sensitive to certain things. I can't imagine Mela-Fix to kill an entire population but rather the odd sensitive one.

I can't say melafix or pimafix have or have not worked because I usually use it in conjunction with salt or alternating days with other medications but, I have to agree. Certain fish, even the same species, are more sensitive.

I can't remember if it was pimafix or melafix, but I decided to treat a whole tank. And, I turned up the aerator and made sure to monitor the tank for half an hour, as I have a black ghost knife fish. The BGK was okay but swimming in the air bubbles, however my female German blue ram lost colouration and was looking really, really sick within 3 mins. The male GBR was completely fine, flamboyant colouration, acting like nothing was different. Female got transferred immediately to another tank and regained color in a few minutes.

These 2 GBRs were purchased from the same fish store at the same time. They were, and still are, very close to the same size. I am certain they are actually from the same spawn.

I made a second treatment to the tank after a couple of days and the male GBR, again, was fine. I did not treat the female GBR again with this medication.

I do have to say, before treatment, neither showed symptoms of illness, but I was informed to treat the whole tank.

So yes, there are individual reactions to this medication. For Those of you that say 1% of your fish survived, it would be interesting to note individual responses of death/survival of a species.

Edited by elf_poop