Table - Will It Hold Up?

heff

I'm in the position where I just want to get my aquarium set up so my wife can understand how little maintenance a tank can be. I have the following table from ikea: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/14630009/

I've laid on this thing. Mind you, I weigh 160 which is about 40 or so pounds shy of a filled 18 gallon aquarium. It's pretty sturdy, not wobbling when I shimmy around on it.

Can anyone say they have done something similar or that I outright shouldn't do it?

Hugh

I can say that I have. But the first thing that I thought of was that those tables are lats of wood glues together. So depending on where on the table you put the tank, the lats might start coming apart. Now if you put you tank on a table where it fit from the back to the front, I, personally would think that would be better. Just my 2 pennies.

I have a 20 gallon long and I had it on something similar to that table. I'd try it but keep an eye out for any bowing in the table. The biggest thing I'd be worried about is the legs starting to come loose after awhile and the table getting wobbly instead of just breaking.

@eartheater - I think I know what you mean; spread it across as many lats as possible to spread out the load. In that case, I've got some hardboard that I could probably put on top of the table, then put the tank on that.

@Noodles - Yes, just an 18 gallon :) When I finally get this set up and running for awhile, a larger tank will have an appropriate stand.

@Azrie - Maybe I'll get some locktite or set a reminder on my phone to tighten the bolts up every so often.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

It looks like a nice table, a bit curious on some specs. Thickness of plywood? Sorry i see its not plywood, what is it then? Thickness of legs? Whats holding the legs in place? Anything glued?

Edited by Iceturf

@jewels - Yes, squares aren't nearly as strong as triangles. You can lean on the front (back will hit the wall) and you can lean on the right side and the left will hit the my tv stand. I could probably get a 2x2 and brace the back legs like this -> | / | Nearly invisible and it would provide a little more support. $6 for the wood and bolts could save a lot of headache.

@Iceturf - eartheater suggested that the top is probably lats glued together. I haven't verified that yet, but if that were the case, I was considering laying down a sheet of wood to spread the load out. The legs are 2x2 mounted at the top by bolts at 45 degrees into a metal bracket in the corner. It's pretty sturdy and they don't come loose easily. No glue aside from the aforementioned table top.

Your going to be better off buying $30 in 2x4s and building one that isnt a "maybe it will hold" situation. When it comes to something like a fish tank it baffles me how people take these needless risks..

You can buy some good looking one side good plywood and paint it man. if you have a circular saw and any skills what so ever it will turn out just as nice as a store bought stand. i would just buy 1/4" ply because its not for structural, just visual.

at the end of the day its a lot uglier to have water all over the floor haha ;)

Some words on this table you wish to use

From a very basic view, 2x2's are likely strong enough to support the verticle load, since a 2x4 can hold a couple hundred pounds vertically without issue, assuming a scaling relationship holds then 2x2's in this case are strong enough.

I don't know about the strength of a 2x2 laterally though. In terms of their mount, I believe I've seen what your talking about. It may be strong enough for the job. (good to see bolts) Then the issue comes down to the 2x2's themselves. They may warp should aquarium water get spilled.

In terms of your original question, has anyone done this. I haven't to the same degree. I put a 10 gallon one time on a flimsy 1/2" particle board makeshift desk that was held up on either side of 4'. It worked for many years, no issues or cracks that I know of. The particle board Sagged though. Probably not my brightest moves but it worked.

It may well hold of for a long time. Certain element of chance and you seeing how it holds when you start filling up the tank. I think most people, my self included, are leery about this idea due to the unknown factor. However, I've seen some of the store sold stands for aquariums, how they keep the tanks up usually amazes me, but they do.

You could also buy 2 sheets of good one side 3/4" and make a stand out of that. Its what I have for my 18 gallon. Strong, simple and visually appealing. Save that ikea table you already have for something else?

Edited by Iceturf

Most of the store stands I've seen do not impress me in the slightest. I've got the tools and the ambition, so it's just a matter of making the time to do it. And you're right Neesmo, water all over the floor due to my own stupidity would be uglier and would probably spell the end of my aquarium days...

• 4 weeks later...