Another "save These Fish" Thread

jeremoose

I was browsing through kijiji and found this... http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-Fish-tank-W0QQAdIdZ353865254 This is absolutely horrible and it makes me wish there was some sort of restrictions on who can keep and purchase live animals. I hope somebody can help them!

How bout we all send him an e-mail yeah.

Already did, here it is:

A few things, as a long time fish keeper I am disgusted by the state of your aquarium. Your tank is overstocked not by a little, but more than triple. The water is so disgusting that it is not possible to see through the 16 inches of water to the back of the tank. Do yourself and the fish a favor, do a large waterchange with a good quality water treatment, one that will remove chloramines and chlorine.

Drop the price to something more reasonable like about 1/4 of your asking price, and let the fish stop suffering. Forcing them to swimming in the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate caused by living in their own waste is cruel. Would you like to live in a bubble that was full of your poop, piss and left over food?

Get yourself a new hobby, like model airplane building, and leave the responsibility of looking after gods little creatures to someone responsible. Also the word deferent is actually spelt with an 'i'. "Hooked on phonics worked for me"

Thanks for playing, please try again.

Jay

We shall see what he emails back lol

Edited by Jayba

Amen to that. Kudos to you Jayba. I wish I had room for a predator tank to rescue these poor things

Email Sent:

May I suggest you contact these fish rescue people here on Kijiji to come get these poor things.

F.I.N.S. >

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-F-I-N-S-FISH-RESCUE-FISH-IN-NEED-SOCIETY-W0QQAdIdZ339810710

Sad Scale Fish & Snail Rescue >

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-animal-pet-services-SAD-SCALES-FISH-SNAIL-RESCUE-W0QQAdIdZ342085169

Please do the right thing. Thank you.

Shocked!!!!

Edited by jeanie1978

I was looking a documentary about the amazon river, and the water there is not pristine crystal clear. In fact the camera crew had a hard time trying to film the fish in such murky water. Then I saw a documentary about lung fish in africa, and those guys literarily live in the mud by the 1000's very over crowded.

Also I should not forget to mention the arowana farms in Asia. The water in those farms is standing algae green and muddy.

While I am sure all these environments are chemically safe, what I am trying to say is that dirty looking water might be the result of a tank exposed to sun light where algae is prospering or caused by a multitude of suspended particles not removed by mechanical filtration.

I definitely agree that a dirty looking tank is not an option in the hobby, and that people need to care about their pets; However in the wild some fish are more sturdy that we think. Finally planet earth has been through many mass extinctions and fish have survived them all.

It is possible that we humans will go extinct before fish do :)

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

I was looking a documentary about the amazon river, and the water there is not pristine crystal clear. In fact the camera crew had a hard time trying to film the fish in such murky water. Then a saw a documentary about lung fish in africa, and those guys literarily live in the mud by the 1000's very over crowded.

Also I should not forget to mention the arowana farms in Asia. The water in those farms is standing algae green and muddy.

While I am sure all these environments are chemically safe, what I am trying to say is that dirty looking water might be the result of a tank exposed to sun light where algae is prospering or caused by a multitude of suspended particles not removed by mechanical filtration.

I definitely agree that a dirty looking tank is not an option in the hobby, and that people need to care about their pets; However in the wild some fish are more sturdy that we think. Finally planet earth has been through many mass extinctions and fish have survive them all.

It is possible that we humans will go extinct before fish do :)

You do have a point about water clarity. Seeing 5 blood parrots, a common Pleco, a large SA cichlid and 4 other fish a 30 gallon does not make me think he is going for the black water look. It is fairly safe to assume he has very little idea of what he is doing, and more than likely is not following a stringent water change regime.

You are correct in saying water is not always clear and that the haze could be caused by algae from natural light, but there is not any

But I do not see anything on the glass to indicate exposure to direct sunlight. Unless he scraped it off prior to the pics. Who knows.

Even with the studiesbin the wild with dirty water. there is still different water flowing through the area where the fish are living. I think as responsible fish keepers we should try to understand that with constant water flow of even the dirtiest water is still water flow. like jayba said, you wouldnt like sitting stagnant in your own feces.

I hope this guy comes to his senses.

Amy