Really Cool Moss Attachment - Fissidens Splachnobryoides Info?

creekbottom

I checked out this link from the library: http://www.aquaticpl...carpet#comments This looks amazing and I would like to try it. Does anyone have any comments about this? I'm thinking it will take a little longer than 5-7 days, and does anyone know where I can get that moss? Fissidens splachnobryoides. Please don't make me order from aquaticmagic.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not like I'm running out lol.

As for an update ! It don't seem too be going well . I think I might try some black lava rock I just picked up as this lace rock just won't stay wet . I might just leave both in and see what happens

Blake

throw the rock in a clearish plastic bag keep 100% humidity and put in a bright location...window sill etc. no reason why it won't attach if doing something like that.

btw, where did you get it...looks great! (heard of it being a carrier for planaria also)

found here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fissidens-splachnobryoides-Live-Aquarium-Plant-BB-/260228328789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3c96d12d55

Edited by ckmullin

• 2 weeks later...

I had never seen this company before, but had a look @ all their listings, they certainly have a good variety & prices....so why the lack of enthusiam when making mention?? (I have always made great efforts to support my LFS's, so it takes a lot to make me stray)

Thanks!

James

I checked out this link from the library: http://www.aquaticpl...carpet#comments This looks amazing and I would like to try it. Does anyone have any comments about this? I'm thinking it will take a little longer than 5-7 days, and does anyone know where I can get that moss? Fissidens splachnobryoides. Please don't make me order from aquaticmagic.

Aquaticmagic doesn't supply the proper permits so it's technically not legal to have the plants shipped to you. I've never had issues, but I only get mosses that are hard to find locally. You also don't get your plants for many weeks. Moss is about all that survives.

It does take a while to get the plants from Malaysia, and to date I haven't had a problem getting green moss from them. I just find it is a bit of a guessing game because they may not be entirely upfront about what they are selling. That's not really a problem I guess, you just have to do your research before ordering some of the 'aquatic' species they have listed.

On another note - I got a hold of some Fissidens splachnobryoides and F. fontanus. I've tried this out on driftwood. It's been in a tupperware container on the windowsill for about 10 days now. Not completely sure about the attachment yet so I'm going to leave it for a bit longer. I think the F. splach might attach a little quicker but I kinda don't want to submerse it to find out that it hasn't worked yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So my F. fontanus has attached after about 2 weeks. I put it in the tank and MOST of it stayed put. I'm not sure if being on rock or driftwood makes a difference. I'm trying some F. splachnobryoides on rock right now, hopefully that works out.

I've seen a video on youtube of Amano doing this same method. He chopped up some moss (not sure of species) and rubbed it on some black lava rock before filling. You definitely need something porous for it to attach too.

I think you should expect some of it to float off.