Ameca Frustration

Raven

The pair i have had for over a year now is still not breeding. I haven't been able to find out why, i've added more plants, even floaters, put in more caves and other hidey holes for babies to survive in, but still i see nothing. Every time i think she's carrying it turns out she just needs to poop. What else is there that i can do??

Yes, they are male and female, and i think i've seen mating. Lots of spinning and stuff around each other. Don't know where to find more, all the LFS i've been to give me a blank look when i say their name, don't know many hobbist that keep them, esp in edmonton.

I was just saying i know that mine are. When i got them the female was pregnant (previous owner had them in a species tank) and about 3-4 weeks after she gave birth but the fry didn't make it. The kribs where spwaning at the same time and the dropped too close to there cave, they killed them. Haven't seen anything else since, but i regullarily think she's knocked up.... heck i think she might be right now, but i'm not sure. She has a huge appitite, the plants suffer the most, but so far most are not destroyed.

Well, that certainly narrows it down then. You have a viable/proven pair, tempurature is inconsequential, and assuming you are on tap water - all is well.

Perhaps diet ?

What are they eating?

Ameca are decidedly herbivorious. I once had a batch exclusively eating New life Spectrum Grow - nary a fry to be had.

They have a very varied diet because of all their tank mates. Includes Nutrafin (B) Tubifex worms, Bloodworms, Nutrafin (m) Color Enhance Flakes, Bottom feeder sinking food tabs, Spirulina meal tabs, Omega one Brine shrimp, New Life Spec community fish. Usualy 4 items in the morning and maybe 1 more later one but not always. Both kinds of tablets always go in, flakes and NLS switch on and off, and the worms and shirmp alternate days, 2 in 1 day doesn't usually happen unless the kids ae involved. And they are the only ones that eat my plants.

• 3 weeks later...

Dipped into reveiwing some ameca breeding info. Found my temp maybe higher then they like. It was at 75F so i lowered it to 72. Closer to 20C. If they like this new temp, what behaviour changes could i see?

what behaviour changes could i see?

PMS

The females run the show in that tank.

The males will sometimes establish a 'no fly zone' in a chosen spot; chasing all but chosen fish out of the area.

Males will 'flash' against rocks or hardscape.

Males present themselves before a female - quarter away- then vibrate. Have you seen that move? Silly guys look like they would end up with shaken baby syndrome. My wife calls it the "sexy, sexy" because the Ameca's look just like the Zohan.

Side by side copulations last a few moments and is usually mobile, as they make their way up or along the tank.

Ameca will tolerate a huge variance in temps. High altitude, shallow streams in Mexico makes for large fluctuations. I have keep mine anywhere in between 8 and 40 Celsius