Tank Of Death ?

so at the auction last year i bought a 18x18x18 cube i was going to use for breading i decided to go with a sand bottom but didn’t want the hassle so i silicone the sand down looks super nice problem is every fish i put in there so far has only lasted about an hour i was prity sure i used the right 100% silicone but now i wonder as i have a sponge filter that i took from another tank and the water is right from my other tank with the rest of the fish same temp i even have drained it and filled it up a few times now just to see but same thing they swim like crazy and then die in about an hour

anybody have any ideas or should i just scrap it and find another tank

Silicone 1 also has a kitchen and bathroom version which is mold resistant - and that will kill your fish. (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ge-silicone-i-kitchen-bath-sealant-white-290-ml/947745)

Which exact version do you have?

18" by 18" isn't too big. if you are really worried, you can go to the dollar store and get a razor scraper (meant for cleaning stoves) and scrape the silicone off and buy the right kind (100% silicone, with no mold resistance)(or get some from the pet store, pricier, but no worries).

You did treat the water with prime or something, right?

i made sure it was the stuff with no additives that everone was saying to use the water is straight from my 500 gallon at time of a water change with a spounge filter i had running in the sump of my 500 gallon for three months so i dont think it has anything to do with water as all the other fish are fine in my monster tank and that were everything was from i just didnt think if it was the wrong silicone whould turn the water deadly that fast

If the fish keep dying within a hour of putting them in the tank and everything else is ok, then it kind of points to some type of contaminant. Did the tank have any kind of residue on it? But you'd thinkthat would be rinsed out by now if that was the case.

The heaters not short circuiting or something is it?

How many fish have you tried putting in there?

4 fish so far unfortunily the first one was one of my smaller discus that was getting picked on so i stuck it in there as supposed to my quarinteeen tank as it was tank water and didnt think much of it i did stick my hand in when the light was on the heater 200 watt ehime and didnt get shocked im just surprised if it was the wrong silicone it would kill them that fast i may just bite the bullet and hope for another at this auction and keep it bare bottom or painted

The wrong silicone will kill them quickly.

I silicone sand to all my bottoms (I have shelldwellers who dig and I hate seeing glass). Sometimes the print is very tiny, I don't trust any of the GE silicone brands any more in an aquarium. GE silicone has killed some of my fish before - it seems there are some additives that leach into the water - even if you bleach it and then soak it for 48hr in straight prime. I use a different brand as GE has never worked for me.

If time isn't an issue, I would just scrape the silicone up and reapply with new silicone (not GE). If you are short on time, just scrape the silicone up and put sand/gravel down without siliconing.

On a note of looking at all angles it may have been the wrong silicone by the person that built the tank. You could be gettting toxic effects from the seems themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

GE Siicone 1 windows and doors just killed a fish for me.....never had a problem with product last year, but this new tube now said NOT for aquarium use.......should of read the instructions.