Cloudy Everytime?!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not. It's a tall tank and at the most I only do a 25% change. I'm careful adding the water back in so that I don't disturb the sand on the bottom. With it being a planted tank I'm pretty careful about pouring it in so that I don't mess things up too much.

How long is the water 'aging' before you put into the tank? I vaguely remember the same thing happening in the past with water changes, but have always just attributed it to tiny air bubbles due to filling the tank up directly from a faucet/hose. If nothing is affected, why worry?

I got this one solved. What kind of dechlorinator do you use? Does it treat chloromine? Aging water does nothing for the chloromines that Edmonton uses in it's water. I think it's an ammonia spike. Do I win a cookie?

I got this one solved. What kind of dechlorinator do you use? Does it treat chloromine? Aging water does nothing for the chloromines that Edmonton uses in it's water. I think it's an ammonia spike. Do I win a cookie?

That's actually a very valid point, and is likely the cause because iirc the big ALS stuff only removes chlorine. Perhaps get a bottle of prime and try using that to see if it still happens.

Totally agree with Jayba and Epiphany, I use Edmonton water and noticed that happening in my tank when I used nutrafin cycle and conditioner, but once I switched to Prime haven't had it since :D

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I've thought about switching to prime, but I have Amano and cherry shrimp and have read that those things are not compatible with prime. I'm not sure about the ammonia spike. The next time I change water and it goes cloudy I'll test it. The bottle of big Al's states that it will neutralize chloramine. And too, note that this doesn't happen in my 10g tank, which gets the same water. The water usually ages for about a week before it is used.