Information Appreciated Re Stocking With Peacocks

bet

Would like to know how many 3-5" peacocks could fit comfortably in a 40 gal tank. Only have had cichlids for a bit less than 2 years so still a learning experience. Will only be males 1 of each variety I have. Sulfer head, strawberry, sunburst, electric blue, electric white, red shoulder and thinking of a couple of others when I find them. All info is greatly appreciated. b.

So let's see, 10 fish x 5" = 50" , isn't that slightly more than 1 inch / gallon? Or 12 fish x 4" = 48" . The "old shool" rate isn't that far off or completely out to lunch as you say......it is a reasonable guide to start with, before you throw the variables in , like filter size , footprint, type of fish etc.....no need to shoot someone down who is trying to help. biggrin.png

An inch per gallon shouldn't be used as a 'rule', though it does sometimes happen that's where a stocking recommendation ends up (and moreso with smaller tanks). Under this circumstance, without knowing more about the experience of the fiishkeeper, dimensions, filtration, or anything else thats what I'd recommend based on my 20 years of keeping african cichlids. Had the OP asked how many 12" oscars or jags, I'd have said one ( and even that wouldn't be good long term); 1" tetras, then maybe 30-60+ depending on species (plus catfish/bottom dwellers and even potential surface dwellers); SA cichlids, one pair of 4-6" fish. To use an inch per gallon as a rule, doesn't take any of these variables into account.

As Jayba put it the footprint of the tank is really important. A forty gallon breeder tank with a larger surface area than a 55 tall will hold more fish. It's the surface area (that is directly related to the area available for oxygen exchange) that will be a limiting factor. Adding an air stone and increasing the O2 will help increase the # of fish you can add. Going with a peacock show tank will look great! Don't add any substrate (rocks or other structures) that will allow the males to establish territories and lead to fighting, even without any females in the tank. I have seen a 75gal with almost 20 full grown male Malawians do great. They were all fully coloured and swimming around like crazy. The high # of fish prevented any bullying or singling out weaker fish and it looked fantastic! You will notice once you start stocking your tank that you are reaching maximum capacity if the fish start breathing heavily, meaning lack of oxygen. It can also suggest you need better filtration as it can also indicate a high concentration of contaminants in the tank. I hope this helps and good luck with the project.

Cheers,

:beer: