What Will I Get?

Jayba

I have a male long fin albino that is brooding some eggs from a calico regular fin female. What should the fry end up being? Ratios and such.....genetics was many years ago. Thanks

Edited by Jayba

I say at least half will be regular fin calicos, a quarter will be long fin calico, around 12 percent will be long fin albino the other 12 percent regular fin albinos and at least 1 percent will make you go WTF? lol can't wait to find out

To get albino's both parents need to carry an albino gene, if I remember right. If the offspring from your brood breed with each other they will produce albino's.

There could be the chance the calico could be carrying the albino gene; if any fry are albino, it would answer that question. Albinism is a recessive gene - so the albino make has 2 albino genes, whereas the calico is unknown, and could potentially carry the gene but not show it. I'm not sure if the calico and long fin genes are linked, so can't help w the ratios.

Albinism is the only one I know for sure, and it's been covered here already. Long fin is weird; even LFxLF won't give 100% LF offspring. I know vertically nothing about calico.

Basically, what it all comes down to is that the only way to know what you're going to get is to wait and see what you're going to get. :D

Genetics... Biology 30.

Albinism is an absence of pigmentation is due to recessive genes or a simple mutation. The mutation, by definition, is genetically unpredictable.

But there is some predictability to genetic pairing. You can use a punnett square to plot the theoretical possibilities.

Albino is always recessive so an albino animal is a homozygous albino (aa) genotype.

Your phenotype calico can be a homozygous (CC) or heterozygous (Ca) genotype.

1. CC + aa = Ca, Ca, Ca, Ca (all hetrozygous calicos, no albinos)

2. Ca + aa = Ca, Ca, aa, aa (het and albino are possible)

All theoretical predictions. You could have a hetrozygous calico parent (Ca) and not see albino offspring.

But pairing your calico with an albino is the only way you will learn what genotype your calico is; hetrozygous (Ca) or homozygous (CC).

Add fin traits to the mix and you jump from 4 theoretical combinations to 16.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...