165 Gallon Impulse Build **lots Of Pictures - 56K Warning***

jcgd

I really like the dimmable feature of LEDs, I'm thinking it's going to be time for a build in the near future! What's the timeframe on the fade? Is it constant, or does it stop at certain levels (ie 10% for 5 min, then 20% for 5min)?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the dimmable feature of LEDs, I'm thinking it's going to be time for a build in the near future! What's the timeframe on the fade? Is it constant, or does it stop at certain levels (ie 10% for 5 min, then 20% for 5min)?

This one dims by the minute I believe, and splits the difference (0-100%) over the timeframe you choose. Each controller can do four pwm signals, so four channels. You can control a bunch of strings of leds from one channel, but they all have the same schedule/dim. Each channel is set for individual on/off, fade duration and max brightness (0-100%). Mine are set at 100%, 100%, 60%, 60%. (RB, NW, left CW, right CW). I can manually override the lights with All on, All off, All at fade (0-100% choice), or timer

The RB and NW give almost no umol of par to the tank, Maybe 12 or so at the surface and none at the substrate. The difference from 60% to 100% on the cool whites takes the par at the substrate from ~80umol of par to 170 umol of par. The surface goes from 170 umol of par to 330 umol of par. I'm writing these figures from memory so I should double check them, but they are pretty close. You get the idea and because my light fixture is so high (40" off substrate) the drop off in par is only a ratio of 2x, while with a shorter tank, or the fixture closer to the water, the difference in intensity between the substrate and the surface can be a much higher ratio. This tank has a difference of 5x: http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/08/03/par_values_0321_old_bulbs.jpg

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/08/03/par_values_0321_old_bulbs.jpg

BlueTetras.jpg

RoselinesBlueTetras.jpg

I hacked the left side back, the P. stellata and A. gracillis are growing very fast. They fill in the left side fast and the right lags behind. there's a bunch of L. arcuata in the foreground, just to see if I can keep this batch alive. So far so good, but it's very green... just like everything else in the tank.

Week6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks great. Nice fish. How is the Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia' doing? Great foreground plant.

And when you say you hacked back the A. gracilis, did you cut it back and leave the roots in the soil, or replant the tops? Or both.

• 1 month later...

Gorgeous tank, Justin. :thumbs:

Thanks!

Looks great. Nice fish. How is the Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia' doing? Great foreground plant.

And when you say you hacked back the A. gracilis, did you cut it back and leave the roots in the soil, or replant the tops? Or both.

The araguaia is pretty sweet. If you hack it back it crawls and forms a neat little bush. I let it grow really tall so last the other night I trimmed it up and planted it in the back/center where I want a bush. I was going to remove it with the rest of my stems but I love it too much.

The gracilis prefers to be topped (cut and replant the top) but I did just hack it down everyone in a while too. The issue is that it doesn't like to be hacked much and it would often stunt. The new tips usually didn't look great and it took a loooong time for the plant to rebound. I recommend topping if you want it to look good. I pulled it because gracilis is a very large plant. It was getting 4" or more in diameter. Much too big.

nicest tank ive seen in awhile..congrats. very natural feel

Thanks homie. Take a look at the updated pic below. I'm moving to more of a jungle feel with the ferns and more slow grower to reduce the work load. More crypts and anubias and something to fill in the back a little. The foreground is in rough shape from being shaded... oh the joys of point source lighting.

Ok thanks. I had the same issue with Ammania in the past.

Good to know that araguaia has made an appearance in Canada. I can't decide if my next tank will have a foreground of araguaia, S. repens, or Elatine triandra.

Tank looks nicely divided into two areas. My vision for a tank that size would be to have one side dominated by a large fern, like a bolbitis sp. Will be interesting to watch this tank mature.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ask and you shall recieve... 6 months later...

photo_zpscf6548d1.jpg

Just tore out a lot of plants, cleaned the glass and sump and weeded through a lot of the dead leaves. Pretty large overhaul actually; probably pulled out half the plants. It's a little awkward looking until the plants settle back in.

I'm thinking of selling the tank. I want something like a 24" cube for the corner maybe. Not sure yet.