165 Gallon Impulse Build **lots Of Pictures - 56K Warning***

jcgd

If you want more details there is my main thread here.

I kinda bought this tank spontaneously and everything possible has gone wrong with it. After a year it's starting to come together. I will be a high tech planted tank when it's finished.

I threw together my first attempt at the hardscape. You can really see the look I'm going for, although I will have to tweak it a bit. Just for reference, the board and styrofoam are both the tank's footprint - 72"x24". The green string is the approximate water line, about 21".

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

The tank will be in a corner so only the front and left side will be visible.

Edited by jcgd

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

insane..this tank is going to look awesome. Is your mind made up with those led's?...Those ATI dimmable t5 fixture would be a perfect fit. They are sooo expensive but options are endless.

Haha, well I'm into the fixture for a lot of $$$, man hours and pride so I'd like to use it. Whenever I upgrade it will be to a ready made fixture.

The features on mind are pretty intense and would cost a lot to buy. If I didn't want to play with LED than the ATI would be my next choice.

I'm into the fixture for around $1500 if you include all the bits and pieces, shipping, tools, etc. I bought a nice solder station and such.

The led's will give a nice shimmer that t5's wont so its all good. It looks well made and one of the nicer diy for led's ive seen. well keep us updated

I was wondering where the heck you got those heatsinks?? I've never seen anything that size for sale around.

Also, the LED fixture looks professionally done. Having the LED's dim-able like you have them is going to be very nice. Please Post pictures as you go along.

Edited by Iceturf

Got the heatsinks at LEDgroupbuy.com. You can also get them at Heatsink USA. I found LED Group Buy to be the cheapest. I pretty proud of the fixture. I've put a lot of man hours into it. Over 15 hour just to drill and hand tap all the holes.

Got the panels all routered, sanded and prepped for magnets. I'm a few short and I need to paint before I install them. I rounded the edges along the top and ends and added grips to help remove the panels. The magnets are pretty strong. The end panel barely stays up but it only wants to slide down, not pull off. The other four have twice the magnets should they should float well. I meant for them to sit on the floor so either way it doesn't matter.

I have to spray them with sealer and then I have gloss white paint to finish it. Hopefully I will get a mirror like finish that is like glass when I'm done. I'm using oil based paint so everything should be waterproof.

photo-42.jpg

photo-40.jpg

photo-39.jpg

photo-41.jpg

• 3 weeks later...