165 Gallon Impulse Build **lots Of Pictures - 56K Warning***

jcgd

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little vid of the plumbing and the rest of the setup. I'm mumbling along the whole way (just got up), but at least there's a little commentary and info/thoughts about the setup. I still need to adjust the plumbing, lengthening of the drain and adding a filter sock, etc.

Same thing essentially. I can't really think of any differences. The bulkheads could point out the bottom or back if the tank, if it's external you usually come out the bottom of the overflow. If the tank was built without the overflow it is easier to add an internal. But you lose the volume/ it's more unsightly.

If you understand the concept of the overflow well, they are easy to set up. The challenge to some is understanding how everything works. It's always made sense to me, so I was lucky. It was still nerve racking to fire up, but my original design worked flawlessly without issues. My box is pretty tight but the weir and drains are working well.

Not gonna! in the video you can see the running water level (I might add a touch more) and there is zero splashing, just a few ripples. I can't see any need to seal it. If I had a wet dry I would use duck tape or a rubber gasket if I wanted a project to work on.

Sealing my sump will only prevent more fresh O2 getting into the water and wont really prevent much co2 from escaping. I want all the surface area I can get for O2 exchange. If I had splashing, or white water (breaking waves) I would be gassing off a lot but there isn't really any falling water in the system. The weir would be the worst for it, but even there the water or more like a slick... no noise or turbulence really.

Now, if my system wouldn't prime with the drain submerged like it is, then I would have a problem. But, as luck would have it... the drain primes just fine so no worries.

Wait no more!

165DayOne02-06-2012.jpg

I had a half dozen plants from Aquatic Central, the crypts are from my other tank and the rest is tissue cultered plants from Aqua Flora. I got 23 tubs total, five of which were needle leaf java fern. I couldn't fit three tubs in there and I planted very dense. Just so you can get an idea of how much you get for your money from Aqua Flora. People think the tubs are expensive at $14 each, but they are really rather cheap for the quantity. Plus, no snails or algae!

Edited by jcgd

Um, so far it's looking like 8 roseline barbs, about 30 corydoras sterbai, a dozen ottos, a dozen amano shrimp, hopefully a colony of orange eye blue tiger shrimp and an undecided school of fish. I need ideas for them. Harold recommended his blue tetras but I've never seen them.