Fresh To Low Load Reef

425nm

I've been thinking about converting my 29 gallon to a reef with some inverts (nudibranchs would be stellar).

Now I'm a student and therefore rather poor so if I can find a way to do this relatively cheap that would be great.

I only have access to tapwater (haven't got around to checking for phosphorous yet).

Can I get away with using Sunblaster T5 HOs (the three footers are 39watts?) for lighting?

I understand that there are lower light corals.

As for filtration:

I've got an aquaclear 70 I can mod into a fuge?

Annnd live rock/sand (does it matter how coarse the sand is?)? I have friends I can acquire frags from.

Tap waters fine.

T5`s are fine for most softies and LPS ,I would stay away from SPS until you get a more mature tank.

How many T5`s are you running ??

Nudibraches are doable ,however most of the pretty looking ones eat something hard to find within a tank ,or will get rid of it fast and then die (e.g. flatworms)

No worry about phosphorous ,just add some GFO into the filter.

If you on a budget base/marco rock is the way to go. No word on live sand as I keep sand-sifters to keep the sand looking pretty.

Don't go getting any coral (excluding possibly zoas and mushroom) untill your tank is atleast a month and a half old and running steady.

Check out some of the ghetto threads on CanReef - some great tanks made on the cheap!

Tap waters fine.

T5`s are fine for most softies and LPS ,I would stay away from SPS until you get a more mature tank.

How many T5`s are you running ??

Nudibraches are doable ,however most of the pretty looking ones eat something hard to find within a tank ,or will get rid of it fast and then die (e.g. flatworms)

No worry about phosphorous ,just add some GFO into the filter.

If you on a budget base/marco rock is the way to go. No word on live sand as I keep sand-sifters to keep the sand looking pretty.

Don't go getting any coral (excluding possibly zoas and mushroom) untill your tank is atleast a month and a half old and running steady.

As of yet I'm not running any T5s. Its still a fresh tank with just a T8. I can procure T5s though. How few could I get away with?

Edit: I suppose I asking what organisms (live rock, sponges, soft/stony corals, etc) can I get away with having at say ~1watt/gallon, 2watts/gallon, and >3watts gallon.

Edited by 425nm

• 4 weeks later...

So what does everyone use if not tap water? Bottled water?

A lot of reef keepers use RO (reverse osmosis) water or have an RO/DI (reverse osmosis/de-ionization) units installed in their homes.

Tap Water = Cyanobacteria

It's just a matter of time.

Id disagree. I have used tap exclusively since starting the salt hobby 10 years ago and have never once had cyano because of the tap water.

I have found it comes when the tank is over fed, under skimmed, or there is a build up of detritus in the tank.