Torch Coral

Picked up a new Torch coral this weekend. Can their base be placed directly in the sand on the bottom or should I keep it above the sand on the live rock? Had it up on the live rock about half way up in the tank but it was just below the power head. Too much current. We are running 4 T5 HO bulbs, 2 regular and 2 Actinic.

Thanks,

Hal

Picked up a new Torch coral this weekend. Can their base be placed directly in the sand on the bottom or should I keep it above the sand on the live rock? Had it up on the live rock about half way up in the tank but it was just below the power head. Too much current. We are running 4 T5 HO bulbs, 2 regular and 2 Actinic.

Thanks,

Hal

How did it come when you bought it? I'd glue it to a piece of live rock rubble.They need something solid to attach to rather than a loose sand bottom.

Torch Corals don't like alot of flow, so I would find a spot that has low current. Also the deeper you can place them in the tank the better, as their sweepers come out at night. Careful of placement around other corals as they can sting them.

Edited by Vitaminz

Thanks everyone, it was just stuck in the sand at the shop. I moved it to the sand deeper in the tank and with lower current, all 5 heads are fully extended so it does not seem to be upset. Am careful where I put it, nothing really for it to sting in the area. Hopefully it stays healthy. It does look better on the live rock for more contrast with the purple coralline.

Hal