Multiple Aquarium Build

Wingin' It

I thought it'd be nice to have a place to post some of my specific projects.

So here's the start of a multiple tank build...

the glass:

The Starfire: (top piece is just in case I break something, bottom pieces are for a cube tank 20"x20"x20")

2012-04-13162142.jpg

Various pieces, just waiting to be put together...

2012-04-13162226.jpg

Under all that glass is another tank that is waiting to be put together...a 6 ft tank that should be around 150 gallons. It was supposed to have a starfire front but that piece got broken...so normal 19mil it is.

Hopefully this weekend will be a decent weekend to put these together!

Edited by Wingin' It

Wowzers! How much was the glass and where did ya get it?

The glass was "affordable" because I know someone who works for a glass company here in Calgary. ;)

I tried to get the glass from this glass company myself, but they wouldn't sell me the cut offs, so I had to go this alternative route...lol

Curious about the "L" shaped tank.

There will be two L shaped tanks, doing them small scale till I know how to properly do them larger. The first will be an upside down L, and then the second will be similar to this:

cool cant wait to see these put together

Thanks! Me Either! can't wait to get to work and for this snow to stop finally so I can do it properly! :D

Edited by Wingin' It

I'll be doing that up right L tank without the valves and stuff...so there should be no worries. It's also why i'm doing it small scale though too...I do have my worries so they need to be subsided before any bigger tanks like it get made.

I love the look of that L shaped one! Look forward to seeing pictures!

and did you say snow?! I hope that's not heading up here...the sky does look gloomy :(

• 2 weeks later...

Today I thought it'd be a great day to go build some tanks, so out to the garage I go...and first starfire tank is slightly off in its measurements, so I have to have the pieces re-cut.

2nd tank: One of the L-shape tanks...Missing 3 of the pieces! Where'd they go? lol They just grew legs and walked off! So back to the cutting table. I also decided to up the size, from the small one to at least a 15 gallon(ish) one...what could possibly go wrong?!

3rd tank: One of the many betta tanks...it does go together! so yay, one of three tanks is built successfully...lol

Not my ided of a good tank building day...oh well...I guess there are several more weeks I can do it.

well, i guess a small lesson. I've had one or two in my days aswell.

Was it a reputable glass shop that keeps records of cuts? If yes, perhaps when you go down as them to look up your order...they might have written it wrong or whatnot. Order says x, your bill says y...perhaps not all is lost. :)

lol...nope...probably should have though.

Having connections who are willing to help always helps thumbup.gif so good for you for not sweating the small stuff!

One out of three is better than getting skunked, and that's a small lesson A-types can stand to learn.

I, too, look forward to seeing your final builds. Keep the camera rolling ^_^

• 4 months later...

I finally just finished building the 6ft tank! What an ordeal it seems to have been. This is the largest tank i've ever built. I think it was just awkward 'cause it was so high and so long. I went through 1.5 tubes of silicone...of course I ran out of the stuff after I put all the panels together, then ran to walmart to get a couple more tubes...one extra just in case...and well heck, I still have a bunch more tanks to build right? LOL (Dang it).