Multiple Aquarium Build

Wingin' It

I finally just finished building the 6ft tank! What an ordeal it seems to have been. This is the largest tank i've ever built. I think it was just awkward 'cause it was so high and so long. I went through 1.5 tubes of silicone...of course I ran out of the stuff after I put all the panels together, then ran to walmart to get a couple more tubes...one extra just in case...and well heck, I still have a bunch more tanks to build right? LOL (Dang it).

can u please post a pic of the silicone.i have been to walmart and all the ge 1 says not for aquarium use?? leaky 300 galon

I'm going to fill up the tank tomorrow...gotta let the thing cure. I hope it holds! eeeek! lol

The silicone I use is GE 1, for windows and doors. I've always used it for my aquariums...they have to put that "not for aquarium use" disclosure on there, but it's fine. I think you just can't have the anti fungal stuff in it.

Edited by Wingin' It

I finally just finished building the 6ft tank! What an ordeal it seems to have been. This is the largest tank i've ever built. I think it was just awkward 'cause it was so high and so long. I went through 1.5 tubes of silicone...of course I ran out of the stuff after I put all the panels together, then ran to walmart to get a couple more tubes...one extra just in case...and well heck, I still have a bunch more tanks to build right? LOL (Dang it).

can you post a pic of the silicone used. I have a leaky 300 gallon and have been told that the GE 1 i used is no god for the fish but what i was told to use also sates on the tube that it is not for use in aquariums.

thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

The tank is built...but it's tooo cold for me to silicone in the two braces...so i'm going to have to bring it into the house to do it! Here are a couple pics though of the tank. (haha...please disregard the massive mess behind)

2012-09-30202610.jpg

2012-09-30202543.jpg

Edited by Wingin' It

• 3 months later...

hahaha...the one piece L shape is tricky to cut...the break line wants to go straight across the whole thing instead of stopping mid way. The only way we've been able to get it done (the first time) was to do a curve and then continue up to complete the L. Tricky stuff this is! I have a starfire cube tank also in the mix that is waiting to be done...so I may just take it and...eeeeekkk...cut it to try to do the L. I just hate doing silicone in the house cause it stinks to high heaven. Warm weather will be my friend in the remainder of these projects.