New Cabinet Construction For 75 G

ckmullin

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Didn't take pictures as it was constructed however here is the end product.

The frame is built out of 2x4 so it definitely has the strength. Left/right sides and back are mdf while the top/front/interior base is plywood. Two cutouts are each centered at the back for access. The left/right doors are hinged while the middle is firmly held in place using neodymium magnets. The cabinet's body was painted with liquid melamine. This color scheme was picked as it matches a couple other pieces where it will be located. I have shelving which is of the same wood/color as the doors that I will use for two cabinet interior shelves.

For this project I needed to purchase paint and hinges as I had everything else. So sub $100 retail for this project.

51 3/4 x 25 1/2 x 33 3/4 (lwh)

291luag.jpg

dz636.jpg

alhi4k.jpg

that's it for now!

Edited by ckmullin

Good work, now go to Home Depot to get the fish door pulls. You will have to order them but they will be sent to you in the mail. I think they cost about $5 each or so. Your stand is much stronger than the particle board ones at the stores. Cheers......biggrin.png

Thanks for the comments. It was fun to build and even one of my sons first helping projects! ...and that cannot be bought. :)

For those pulls, perhaps a fathers day gift! I'll put a couple links 'left open' in the browser and see what happens.

Did you need to prime the MDF for use with the liquid melamine, especially the edges? or is it thick and tacky enough that the porous-ness of the MDF doesn't come into play? I need to finish my own cabinet and liquid melamine sounds like the ticket. Also, where is it available? A quick search using Home Despot's website didn't turn anything up. Thanks

Bought it at Home Depot. It's quite a thick and sticky paint, imo more so than even oil.

I did not prime anything nor the mdf edges. I typically would have but since I wanted a thick coat buildup (4 coats) and it being a thick paint, by the 2nd coat the edges were sealed. With any paint project I do recommend sanding between each coat, no different with this melamine paint. I will also say since this is water based it will raise the grain as typical with a latex paint with mdf's and porous woods.

The can is named "CIL Smart3 Furniture and Cabinets Melamine Finish" I researched melamine paints and have found this quite popular as well as very durable.

Looking good!!! I have used this when manufacturing garage cupboards as guys seem to favor a rough texture, myself if I can get a hold of it as a regular joe, would be some of the Stylelite as easy wipe down and can handle a fair bit of moisture, can even get it in a few styles of wood veneers plus easy to fix minor damage.