Found In Alberta? Solved

ckmullin

In one of those neighborhood ponds created by developers, I had come across an interesting but dead find. It sorta looks like a lungfish but not (so far I think not). The back tail area is very similar as a lungfish from memory but the body shape is shorter and more fat. One interesting thing was that it appeared to have short legs with claws than fins. Perhaps the fin is rotting and will leave more of the cartilage showing to present such a look. Also since it is rotting, the fish might appear more bloated/rounded than normal.

No pictures atm as this was a chance find. However on monday I will take a couple shots to see what this might be. (does not look like a snakehead as again it appears atm to be shorter and more fat)

Not sure if it was thrown in the pond alive/dead by someone or it was actually living in Calgary/Alberta.

So, the question. Anything similar to a lungfish found in Alberta?

Edited by ckmullin

ty for the response

First seeing it and again from memory, it didn't come across to be a Burbot. However first thing, gonna take some shots and see what that damn specimen is! lol

Edited by ckmullin

...and the wiener is a salamander!

Dragged it out of the depths, uncovered all the algae to finally get a decent view. Big sucker though guess why it drew me away to being a fish. Everything that I've seen in Alberta, BC or MB have been small nearly hand size while this guy is close to 10-11 inches.

ty all who responded with posts here

post-5670-0-11615400-1337021009_thumb.jpg

I just did a google search for salamanders in Alberta, and there are only two that are native...neither appears to look anything like the one in your pic?? So, that makes one wonder if this one was introduced??....or if it may be a reptile, as the head REALLY doesn't look amphibian to me??

http://www.srd.alber...rs/Default.aspx

Long Toed Salamander

Size: This slender salamander can reach a total length of 140 millimetres (about 5.5 inches).

http://www.srd.alber...Salamander.aspx

GFX-Long-toed-Salamander-01.jpg

=======================================================================================

Tiger Salamander

Size: Ranges in length from 140 to 180 millimetres (roughly 5.5 - 7 inches) and occasionally up to about 200 millimetres (just under eight inches).

http://www.srd.alber...Salamander.aspx

GFX-Tiger-Salamander-01.jpg

Edited by James (Western Canada)

yah, saw those 2 on the srd...my thinking it was introduced.

If anyone knows what this species of salamader might be post what your thinking. Tues I was thinking of contacting srd themselves and handing over a picture and see what they say.

I run into large tiger salamaders while collecting live food in the early spring. I have seen them nearly 12 inches long and they tend to be grey with a few black bars on them at that size. They don't really look like the photo but it could be due to decomposition.

Yes what was found was a larval stage tiger salamander - the axolotl is a morph that stays in the larval stage throughout its entire life.