Carpetting Plants Growing Emmersed

riverpirate

Well since I was having such a hard time getting a carpet to take in either of my tanks, I decided to try growing emmersed in a plastic container since I cant rehome my fish and do a DSM. Might keep it going full time if it turns out to work well. I have some crypt parva, Dwarf baby tears, micro narrow leaf sword, dwarf hairgrass, and some annubias and java moss just for kicks.

post-5826-0-55994600-1343266586_thumb.jpg

cheap lil tub under 48" dual t8 grow lights on a storage space rigged up for fourteen hours on ten off. Gonna tuck some tyvek over top vent hole to keep moisture in and still allow gas exchange.

post-5826-0-25857700-1343266594_thumb.jpg

Hoping If I get a good chunk of carpet going before I put it in the tank it might take off a little better, rather than sporadic planting of tissue.

Will post some pics of growth next time I get back.

Good luck!

However, I have had great success growing HC and Dwarf Hair Grass in containers emersed.

No special care is taken. They are just sitting by the window without direct sunlight.

No co2 in the tub.

Both of my tanks are under co2. The smaller of the tanks has been able to keep dwarf hairgrass and the HC. Im just a bit of an impatient fellow so throwing in an established carpet more quickly seems like a plan to me. And as for my big tank, the 10" bruiser of a common pleco like to knock around plants that arent well established.

I just had an extra fixture sitting in storage, and an extra timer so it seemed fittting to try this out in the spare room.

Im just waiting for a friend of mine to get in some more co2 tanks in at work for disposal to add co2 into my lil grow tub. Apparently they get co2 tanks in, and empty them, take valves off and cut them in half! Once he told me this my eyes went wide... Gimme gimme gimme.

Also need the co2 to set up my kegging system for the beer as well which I kind of backburnered once I got onto the fish

Yeah as soon as I heard of the c02 tanks I immediately thought of all of my fellow enthusiasts. As soon as He gets some more in, they will be made available for a fraction of the price the stores charge. :thumbs:

And this growing emmersed does work. Had a chance to go see some growing over at jgcd's place yesterday. Also got some Im trying out in a hydroponic style set up on another thread.

• 1 month later...