New To The Area.

michaelmachold1

Am new to the area (Rimbey) and are setting up a tank again. This is more the wifes tank. Its a 47 gallon 20*18*30". So naturally this is a angelfish set-up. We would love some advice on local aquarium stores. The stores in Red Deer are severly lacking in selection and knowledge.

Well it is the wifes tank, lol. I would much rather a long shallow tank for corys and locals. Unforunantly we are not in a position to take fish yet :( still need to complete the set-up. Just taking my sweet time, lol. Not my first choice of filters, a fluval U4, need to get a stand made for the tank and, reading another post will likely go with a regular gravel substrate. Lighting not sure about. Very difficult to get information on LED lighting. So may go for halogen. But as for the angel, leaning towards the blues, or blacks.

Edited by michaelmachold1

Good to hear your responsible with your hobby and planning everything out right before jumping in.

Led's are really efficient,but from my experience they haven't figured out the right spectrums to keep 'high light' plants(unless your making your own fixture like JCGD another member here)

Most of the pre made fixtures(marineland,Beamworks) are only good for low-medium light plants,but I really like the way the water shimmers with LED'S.Most led fixtures on the market are geared towards reef tanks,which is always heavy on the blue spectrums.

Also something to keep in mind,some led fixtures try to confuse or trick you by saying ''300 watt fixture,in small print 600leds"so each led would only be 0.5 watts each......they would need to be like 5 inches away to even have an effect.

If your buying a led fixture make sure each led on the fixture is 1w or higher

If your just doing a couple plants I would suggest a T8 fixture,or a T5 fixture(not a T5ho,probably too much light unless you want to add co2)

I don't have experience with halogen with aquariums,but they sure heated my old greenhouse quite a bit.might be too hot and cause tank temperature fluctuations during daytime hours.

Hope some of this light information helps your choice