A Hunting We Will Go...

Wingin' It

I took a small excursion to hunt for some yummy fishy morsels...when I put them in the fish tanks, it sparked a wicked breeding frenzy...well...attempts by the males of various species...lol The females weren't nearly as impressed as the males were. hahaha

2012-09-30150843.jpg

2012-09-30150903.jpg

I didn't get a whole schwack 'cause they're not exactly at their peak spot for collecting...yet.

wow, if i'm reading this correctly you collected freshwater shrimp from the bow!?

if yes... what are my odds on having you send some up my way so I can breed these little guys?

if i'm totally wrong please feel free to correct me lol

If you go to the Edmonton auction I'm pretty sure Wingin'it or I can bring you some

Edited by JORG

i work WAY TOO MUCH up in fort mac... so i likely wouldnt be able to make any auction, event, gathering or otherwise...

Happen to know the species of shrimp, perhaps they are native to the north sask as well?

wow, if i'm reading this correctly you collected freshwater shrimp from the bow!?

if yes... what are my odds on having you send some up my way so I can breed these little guys?

if i'm totally wrong please feel free to correct me lol

Fairy shrimp or scuds live in ditches and things like that. Jorg has a good post on it in his member journal. Just google them too. I, unlike these two haven't caught more than daphnia and mosquito larvae.

I was told by a knowledgeable CAS member that they are called, "Gameris" (sp?)

I'm not sure how well they would ship...I guess we/you could try, but you should check some of your local water/ponds/ditches first.

I suspect they are...I think FishClubGirl has had some in a large jar for something like a year...i'm certainly going to try on my end to see if they do well in an aquarium.

Please keep us updated with how that goes; I've researched them but turned up nothing of-use on the breeding front.

I'm going to check out the mini lake near me for these. They must be able to overwinter without heating in captivity if they can survive the cold outdoors. Could be they are seasonal and die every fall as well...

They can easily be bred in an unheated tank, I use a 220 gal tub with a sponge filter in it. They pretty much eat anything and are really prolific. They are not seasonal and are available year round.

P.S The gates are shut and the sweet spot should be ready soon Cate.