Sick Plecostomus

DustinWozniak

My Chocolate Albino Pleco is very sick. i think it may be severe finrot. Reason being why i didnt detect it before is because his fins didnt really change color. atleast not noticibly. I dont know what medicine to use for finrot but im going to go to the store tomorrow ans ask around. it might be past being able to save him but i have to try.

if anybody knows what this may be orcan confirm whether or not it is just severe rot that would be great. also if you know what medicine i need and how to go about treating him that would be great!

im very new to this website but it looks promising :-D

post-5989-0-25887900-1350539959_thumb.jpg

Make sure what ever chemical your using doesn't have copper of any sort in it.

Copper hurts scaleless fish like plecos/catfish, even can kill shrimp and snails

I'd say the best route,would be do large water changes daily until it clears up.

Edited by Sprucegruve

It's kinda hard,with a fully stocked tank.

I always have a empty qt tank I can put a fish in so it can heal all alone.

All I can suggest is no copper or salt.

Large 50% or more water changes daily

And I guess you could keep the tank lights off for the next couple days,I find it calms sick/stressed fish.

Not to mention plecos are nocturnal and like the dark

Edit-I'm no expert on the subject

Bt look up some photos of plecos with ammonia burn,this might be a candidate

Otherwise it would have to be fungal/bacterial

Edited by Sprucegruve

Wel its a sad day in my tank... woke up to a half eaten pleco. im assuming the pleco died and the piranhas seen the opportunity. They never really bothered him so im almost positive he died from whatever disease he was suffering from. im just worried now if it was something like finrot. is it possible to be transferred to my piranhas if they ate him?

i did a very large water change 40% and will do another either tomorrow or saturday to be safe. any other advice helps.

also thanks for the quick response!

IME, it's only a matter of time before pirhanas turn on tankmates. You'll need many different hiding places that the pirhanas can't get to if you want to try another pleco.

This doesn't look like your fish was infected with anything....it looks like strike marks from the piranhas. Why you had a chocolate plec with piranhas should be the topic? As I am looking through the forum I see alot of teaching needs to be done about tank mates and fish that go together. :cry: Quill