Melanotaenia Trifasciata " Goyder River "

Rainbowric

M. trifasciata "Goyder River" .......Lets see what can I say that hasn't been heard about the Goyder River?

Being that it is probably in the top 3 most popular, most common species of Rainbowfish along with the M. praecox and M. boesemani joining it. It was one of my first Rainbowfish and I have bred it more times than any other species. Very easy to bred ....I had one female once that would spawn in the bag while being transported! Adapts to just about any water conditions .... Alberta tap water being one of it's favorite. Fry are pretty large .... feed a couple of days with power food then it will take live baby brine. Then watch it grow. In 4 or 5 months you have a brightly colored fish! If you are ever worried about breeding a fish and not finding homes for it don't even think about it with the Goyder River. I have sold many to all of the LFS in Calgary and when I advertise on AA ...they go the quickest of any species I have advertised.

The Goyder River was famous in Australia when it was first collected. People would steal the fish out of there National Aquarium. It has been collected numerous times throughout the years and slight variances of this species is present in the hobby. However the one variance that is most desirable amonst collectors is the original "Royal Regal". Why Royal Regal ...because of the deep dark blue in it with the brightest red which is found in most variances. The deep blue is what appears to be missing in other variances of the Goyder River.

I have been blending many variances over the years to try and obtain that one variance that made the Royal Regal Goyder River. I have blended at least 4 different variances and through the years got rather close. Gary Lange lost his colony of his originals a couple of years back but fortunately the fish left some eggs in a mop in the tank before they were lost. Gary raised them up and sent me a mop of eggs 7 months ago. I am pleased to post some pictures of this strain that Gary has been preserveing now for almost 15 years.

goyder_river_a.jpg

These fish are still only 7 months old .... you would think that they were fully mature!

goyder_river_b.jpg

Another reason why the Goyder River is so popular is they are very active and always showing themselves off!

goyder_river_c.jpg

These pictures are of them just sparring with each other .... bring a women in the picture and be amazed at the colors from this fish.

goyder_river_d.jpg

I have been looking and working very hard for almost a decade now to obtain the Royal Regal Goyder River.. now finally I have them!

goyder_river_e.jpg

I hope that you are enjoying them as much as I ....will be sure to get some more photo's up when they finally mature! :)

Regards

Ric

--------------------------------

"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!

Edited by Rainbowric

• 8 months later...

It has been close to 8 months since I posted in this thread. I don't know why as if the wife got her wish and I was to keep only 5 species of Rainbowfish, this species would be near the top of that list of 5. Of all the trifasciata's this one... "Goyder River" ..certainly covers all the colours of the Rainbow! Even the ones you see today in the LFS ... washed out ... orange rather then the deep red they once were ..... lights up and adds excitement to any bow tank.

The ones posted 8 months ago were about 7 months of age. Today I am going to post some pictures of the same fish now getting close to a year and half old. Funny as I have been for the last 9 months advising many people on how to make there Rainbows look there best, when this group I tucked into one of my bottom grow tanks in my fish room, light coloured substrate, and no plants. They really did not show me what they really had until I took them out and put them into a 100 gallon planted tank.

It started a couple of months ago when a breeder from Eastern Canada found out that I had this strain of Goyder River. At that time I was the only one to have this strain in Canada. He had a strain of the best Melanotaenia lacustris ( Turquoise Rainbowfish, Lake Kubutu Rainbowfish ) I have ever seen and I have been bugging him for the last 3 years for some eggs from them. So I brought out a trio of these Goyder Rivers and set them up in a breeding tank. Even then ... well they were moved to a 25 gallon tank .... dark substrate .... no plants and looked nice but still was nothing special. I sent a mop full of eggs down East and I also auctioned off a mop of eggs at our Calgary Aquarium Society meeting. I hope that you were able to hatch them out ok Gerry? I also hatched out a mop for myself along side of a mop of the M. lacustris that was sent back to me. Both species are doing very well and there should be 2 excellent species of bows available in a couple of months.

Think I might call these males the 3 amigos .....

M_tri_Goyder_River_g_zps315fc972.jpg

Yes .... thought they were fully mature but every week this group shows more! Can't show much more red and blue!

M_tri_Goyder_River_b_zpsbc5cac16.jpg

Endless energy in this group, flashing at each other all day long ..... but I have said to many that 3 pairs really do show much nicer then 1 pair or even 2.

M_tri_Goyder_River_e_zps89d7dc6d.jpg

The females are even quite pretty with this species and when the girls are ready to spawn the action even gets better!

M_tri_Goyder_River_f_zps93fd36d5.jpg

M_tri_Goyder_River_d_zps0352ed9f.jpg

What is also impressive about this strain of Goyder River is how old it is. Gary Lange brought this strain back from Germany in 1997 and has been maintaining it for now 15 years in North America. Still very prolific and I see less signs of inbreeding issues then I have in F5 and newer stock.

M_tri_Goyder_River_c_zps7cd29235.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed these pics ....

Regards

Ric

--------------------------------
"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!

Edited by Rainbowric

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Vince ! hope to post some more later. These amigos are getting cockier every day, taking shots at my 3 year olds that are sharing the tank with .... boesemani & parkinsoni .