Getting Back Into It

beautylovetruth

Hi everyone,

I've gotten back into this amazing hobby and have started up my tank. I have a 25-30 gallon tank (pic below) and am waiting for the water to cycle. I have the following planned for this tank:

- 1 white angelfish

-10 pristella tetra

-2 german blue rams

-1 apple snail

-1 pleco

I've had everything except the rams together in a 20 gallon tall before and it worked out very well. I'm looking forward to the stunning color combination! :) Since these fish tend to dwell in different levels, I think it'll be perfect for such a small setup. Here's the picture of the tank:

http://imageshack.us...1028142518.jpg/

I made sure to leave enough room for the angel to swim, as well as the school. Just checked the levels today and they're as follows:

pH=8.2

Ammonia=4.0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=0

Since the tank just start cycling, I expect all of these to change by next week.

What do you guys think of the setup and the fish I intend to have in there?

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Trina

Aloha, the only thing I'm concerned about is the amount of stocking for that tank. That (from the picture) doesn't look to be a 25-30 gallon, looks to be smaller. If it is in fact a 30g I wouldn't be too concerned but maybe you should check the measurements of the tank and make sure it's the size you think it is! :) Good luck.

I agree that it doesn't look like a 25 gal... maybe a 25L?

Again, if it is actually larger than it looks, I dont see a problem w your stock list.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to advise dropping the pleco, but I see you edited it out. Plecos grow huge - way bigger than what this tank can comfortably accommodate.

Add the thermometer and position the heater horizontally along the bottom at the rear (assuming it is submergeable - most of them are). This way when you change water, you don't need to switch it off. Or, rather, you don't need to remember to switch it off ;)

Also why not to have some real plants and dump the plastic?

Edited by Znaika

Thanks Znaika!!

I did edit the pleco out, I would love to have one grow full size vs being stifled in this tiny tank. Someday I'll have one. :)

I've actually had no need to even plug in the heater, the thermometer on the tank says it's always a steady 27oC. My apartment is warm haha.

I was really thinking about having real plants in the first place but since this tank will be moving in a few years, I figured plastic would be a good way to get back into it while learning more about planted aquariums and caring for fish again.

Right now I'm still cycling with 5 pristella, 5 red phantoms and one ivory mystery snail. Levels have been wonky which I think was due to doing two 50% water changes in two days. I was doing the water changes because nitrites weren't coming down (usually 2-5 ppm with fish acting nippy). The ammonia was 0 then I did those changes and it rose, along with nitrites, while nitrates lowered to 5-10ppm. I'm going to leave it alone for a few days then re-test. Possibly do another water change if needed. I hope I didn't reset the cycling :(

Ammonia cannot rise because of water change, unless your water supply is really crappy. You either introduced more food (or other organics) or disturbed useful bacteria colonies. Make sure you do not wash filter medium, especially in tap water.

When cycling my tanks, I also observed that nitrites tend to stay up for longer than ammonia does. I guess it is because the nitrite consuming bacteria colonies take longer to develop. You need to monitor the level of nitrites and to do a 50% or even 70% water change if it goes above 2 ppm.

Anyways, if you are past the peak of ammonia, It should be alright, don't worry.

I'm going to check my nitrites right now. I'll likely need to do a huge water change again.

ETA: Looks like the reading is between 2-5 so I'll be doing a 70% water change tonight.

ETA2: The nitrite is now between .25 and .5. Will check again in the morning, no feeding tonight :)

Edited by beautylovetruth

Mornin' everyone. I'm starting to feel like a n00b but I tested for nitrites this morning after adding a half dose of Top Fin bacteria supplement last night. My nitrites are right back up to 5. This has been my issue the whole time, I do a water change, add chemicals and a reading of 5 comes a-knockin'. What do I do? Should I keep doing these 50-70% water changes daily?

How about not adding this "bacteria supplement"? ;)

I have heard from a few people that they don't work and you make yet another one.

Personally I do not understand how adding propylene glycol can speed up cycling and yet it is a component of this "bacteria supplement". Nor I will believe that any bacteria can survive in propylene glycol solution until I see it with my own eyes.

How about not adding this "bacteria supplement"? ;)

I have heard from a few people that they don't work and you make yet another one.

Personally I do not understand how adding propylene glycol can speed up cycling and yet it is a component of this "bacteria supplement". Nor I will believe that any bacteria can survive in propylene glycol solution until I see it with my own eyes.

This stuff does not work they call it a" bacteria supplement" = ammonia which leads to nitrites it contains no beneficial bacteria at all .Skip this stuff on your WC.