Kayen's 5 Gallon Fluval Chi

Kayen

Got bored. 10 gallon was looking ugly.

Tore it down, had extra substrate, picked the tank off kijiji for $40.

Didn't use stock filter/light. instead threw together some stuff I had laying around...

Substrate: Fluval Stratum

Lighting: 2x13w desklamps - trying to get a 10" Finnex FugeRay

Filtration: zoomed 501 canister filter - all the media was random stuff I had stuffed in my AC20, so filter media is already mature.

CO2: Paintball canister with cheap regulator - getting a new one soon.

Heater: NONE I was using a 150W in my 10, but that won't be feasible in this tank since i broke the temperature adjustment knob....

Any suggestions?

Plants: Dwarf Hairgrass

Rocks: Seiryuu

Fish: 3 x Sparrow Rasbora, 3 x Stiphodons (all 3 are different species...), Cherry Shrimp (7-8)

Tank in set up:

IMAG0563.jpg

This is from last night.

[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/Viettxboii/IMAG0564.jpg[/img]

After live stock:

IMAG0568.jpg

IMAG0567.jpg

More pics once I get the DSLR out.

Nice set up! I have two Chi and love them. You are missing out on the best part of a Chi, the fountain at the top. I planted the fountain with assorted plants, some aquatic that can grow out of water and some house plants that love water. The results are quite stunning.

Nice set up! I have two Chi and love them. You are missing out on the best part of a Chi, the fountain at the top. I planted the fountain with assorted plants, some aquatic that can grow out of water and some house plants that love water. The results are quite stunning.

The lighting / filtration was not strong enough for my tastes, I do intend to attempt that in the future though and see how it plays out, I had the idea in my mind.

You should post some pictures of that Nanmer

Kevin, looking good so far as well.

Thanks, this was all really last minute. I picked up the tank on Friday and the rest was just stuff I had laying around thrown together.

Nice scape... Will look great after the DHG fills in.

Hopefully soon.

Does anyone have any heater suggestions?

Also acquiring a new CO2 setup and lighting setup as well. Also figuring out a simple dosing regime - i'm in university and not packed for time, so i'm looking to find a way to automate everything, all the while having an attractive, healthy aquarium.

Onlything i don't want to automate is feeding, since I quite enjoy watching the shenanigans that occur at feeding time.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new toys ....

So i upgraded my paintball CO2 to a full set up, and I upgraded my lights to a Finnex Fugeray... For a 3w light this thing is pretty bright... hopefully it'll make my plants happy.

On that note I added some blyxa japonica into the back corner as an experiment and see if it works okay.... Fingers crossed.

So onto the pics...

The new toy:

IMG_6577.jpg

IMG_6578.jpg

FTS: Showing gear and all

IMG_6614.jpg

and some other shots...

IMG_6624.jpg

IMG_6620.jpg

Hairgrass is yellowing, and I need to get a dosing program going... the hairgrass is starting to shoot up some runners and getting a bit thicker, so hopefully i'll see a nicely filled in tank soon.

Also I need a heater in there.... poor fish...

Enjoy!~

Where did you order that light from? I'm looking around as well and those look pretty sexy.

Ordered directly from finnex. Had to email them for the price, and they invoiced me directly.

You can email: customer_service@finnex.net for information.

Also, I was contemplating upgrading the filtration on this tank to an Eheim 2234 as i upgrade the filter on my 40b....