Beginner In Yyc

RW99

Hello everyone. I found this site from another local forum. I have a Christmas bonus coming up and I've been wanting to get an aquarium for a while. This seems like a great resource and I can't wait to get up and running and post a shot or two.

For a beginner, there is just a ton of information to sort through. I'm thinking 10 gallon to start, some more odd looking fish, a scull or something funky on the bottom, no real plants. Freshwater is easier right? Would it be best for me to go into a place like Big Al's and just have them fill my shopping cart for me? :eh:

In my opinion I would start off with at least a 30-35 G, kijiji always has a ton used tanks and stands that usually only require a good cleaning or buying off a member from here, the problem with a smaller tank I found when I started the hobby around a year ago was it was way too easy to overstock and maintaining water quality was more difficult, plus the fish I wanted usually required a bigger tank later on, so my recommendation try 30-35 gallon as your first tank that way you have more options, oh and a word of warning aquariums are addictive lol welcome to the hobby

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with superguppygirl,for your first tank I would check kijiji and this forum for a good deal.

And the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain clean and healthy,I would suggest a20-55 gallon tank to learn with

Another suggestion I have is looking into Seachem prime,it's one of the best dechlorinators on the market

It takes out cholorine,chloamine,ammonia,and heavy metals

Last but not least

Read about the nitrogen cycle,how to cycle a fish tank,and if you want to gain everyone's respect early in this hobby,look into the fish-less cycle

Nice to see a new face around,welcome to the forum

Edit-spelling

Edited by Sprucegruve

Welcome to the forum!!

If you start small...you're guaranteeing that you're going to spend more money on a bigger tank 'cause you're going to see a fish that is so cool but you won't be able to get it 'cause your tank is too small...then you'll have to buy a bigger tank anyways 'cause that fish is just so cool you can't stand to live without it...lol

Also, real plants are way cooler than plastic...though of course 'greenus plasticus' does tend to be less finicky...lol

Best of luck! when you decide what you're going to do feel free to run it by us! Also, there are many of us who frequent many of the local fish stores...so if you need help all you need do is ask! Oh ya, and if you become a member of the Calgary Aquarium Society your membership card will get you a discount at many of the LFSs. ;) (the things you learn eh?)

Welcome to the forum.

There are often complete setups available on kijiji. The more the tank comes with the better off you are. The small things tend to add up and getting them all at once, at a great deal, is the best. I have even scored a complete 55g set up free! Bigger is better, once you see all the cool fish available you will want to keep adding to your collection.

Hey, bigger doesn't have to be better. As someone who's kept fish for most of my (short) life, I have never kept a tank over 29 gallons. One of my fave fish right now is the least killifish which would need a gps in a large tank....And if that's you in the pic(lol), you're more than welcome to attend a meeting. Got to keep the mr.fishclubgirl on his toes!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in your shoes alittle while ago. We started with a 55 gallon tank and are now looking to get into a larger tank. Remember with a 10 gallon that means less fish so consider that when deciding on a size. Maybe start looking into what fish you like just in case you out grow your tank before you even start. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above comments about starting off with a bigger tank as it'll allow you to have more options with the types of fishes that you can stock your tank with. It may seem more expensive at first to start big, but in the long run it'll save you from having to upgrade your tank.

• 3 weeks later...

I also started with a 10g. Once you get the sting and your mind start going wild with ideas, you quickly regret starting so small. Moved to a 46g bow front and I'm loving it! :) It is such a beautiful decoration on our main floor. And if you're into gardening, the waste fresh water from the tank will give you tremendous results.

I have to stop myself at 46g, though. I can easily go too far. :D

I started with a 10g and I'm very happy with it after a year. I haven't caught the bigger thank bug yet, but my goals were to learn how to keep a planted tank, shrimp and small fish. So the 10g stil works for me.

I'd recommend that you pick out the fish you want to keep then design a tank around them.