Aquaponics System

Ron

Here we go.

StartFromSeed.jpg

I got seed from the grow shop stash so I don't know how old they are but I am starting with Cilantro, Wasabi, Mini Yellow peppers, Bolivian Rainbow, Basil and Kale.

I also stuck one of my pitcher plants in there for a tan.

Ron

I thought that wasabi was really hard to grow and that is why all the prepared wasabi that we buy at the Asian grocery stores are all made with horse radish (or horse radish is just cheap). I had some real wasabi in japan and I remember it tasting different than the "simulated wasabi" we get here. I hope that you are successful with the wasabi. I'd buy that :)

I thought that wasabi was really hard to grow and that is why all the prepared wasabi that we buy at the Asian grocery stores are all made with horse radish (or horse radish is just cheap). I had some real wasabi in japan and I remember it tasting different than the "simulated wasabi" we get here. I hope that you are successful with the wasabi. I'd buy that :)

The guys at IncrediGrow had a few plants newly transplanted into their system so I thought I would give it a shot. I did a little research and it definitely isn't the easiest to grow and I will probably be wating >2 years to harvest the rhizome. They also don't like direct light so if they end up going into my tent, I will have to shade them some how. Thanks for the heads up.

Well in 3 years when you are the wasabi king. Remember to save some for me to buy okay?

Sure, will do.

After a little more research it looks like Wasabi is quite the cash crop if you can grow it efficiently. Might have to dedicate a grow bed and see if I can figure it out, not for the money but the challenge and the fresh wasabi of course.

This aquaponics system should grow wasabi really well in theory.

I was just reading about how they grow wasabi in Asia, two main ways well draining dirt and a lot of water.

Or they grow it in sandy gravelbeds that they flood with spring water

Everything should work except for my lighting which is way too high for Wasabi. I am thinking of setting up another grow bed on the outside of my grow tent that I will put on a constant flow and light with a single T5HO. Maybe even a small raft right in the stock tank; I have pretty good flow in the tank when my powerhead is on and I can use a medium basket full of Hydroton.

I know they haven't had any luck producing it hydroponically but maybe the secret is in the fish waste.

One way to grow it in your growbed is to start it after you've got a good canopy of growth; though, to be fair, I have no idea how tall wasabi gets.

If anyone knows where I can get mulberry tree sucker or even seeds, please share. I would love to start one inside and eventually try it outside. It would be sweet to have a supply of leaves for my shrimp.

Edit: Never mind, I found some dwarf and super dwarf mulberry tree seeds on eBay.

Edited by Ron