Kayen's 40B - Ferns Galore

Kayen

This tank was originally set up December 4th, 2011 - Exactly a year ago from my post date today.

I never posted it here before, and many of you who have purchased plants off me in recent times probably have seen this tank as you enter my front door.

December 4th, 2011 Post:

Just moved my 33g up to this guy, and with the help of .Mko. and us finishing midterms and having a 3 hour break between finals and midterms, we went ahead and embarked on this project. Pretty much purchased nothing except the AC70 powerhead and prefilter.

Some pics taken hours after setup and then specs:

2011-12-04232609.jpg

2011-12-04232601.jpg

2011-12-04232547.jpg

2011-12-04232619.jpg

Lighting: 1x39w T5HO Hagen Glo w/ Lifeglo bulb

Filtration: Eheim Ecco 2234

Other: Maxijet 400w/ sponge(not attached yet) + AC70 w/prefilter attachment

Substrate: Shultz Aquatic Soil

Plants: C. Wendtii, Java Ferns, Anubias Nana, E. Tenellus, random bits of moss and subwassertang.

Low tech, just flourish and excel 1x a week is the plan, easy maintenence. Looking to add a couple more river rocks and bit more anubias nana, and otherwise denser e tenellus in the back where it is.

EZPZ

December 13th, 2011 Post:

2011-12-13011600.jpg

2011-12-13011532.jpg

FTS, extra piece of wood is just chilling until further notice (after finals).

January 5th, 2012 Post:

Updated pictures from today. Did a trim of Kayen's E.tenellus and a trim and water change on his algae saturated 10 gallon tank

Before:

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

After:

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

March 23rd, 2012 Post

some updates from his tank. too lazy to post them up =D taken via his cell phone.

I finally fixed his Co2 now its back up and running. Hopefully that will spark growth in his dwarf sag again.

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

Fast Forward 1 year to today....

Also some of the pics are of my 10 Gallon tank which I replaced with my new fluval Chi.

IMAG0560.jpg

Needs a trim, and water's been cloudy for months now. Any idea as to what to do? I'm thinking of grabbing a new canister soon... only have ceramic bits, floss, and sponges in there. Canister packed full. Would like more flow though.

Edited by Kayen

Do I see rasboras there? Borapetensis (brilliant rasbora) or Daniconius (slender rasbora)?

Brilliant Rasbora, there's only 2 of them though, Most of them died off in the 33gallon after I had the little yeast incident in there. These 2 have been around for a couple years now, and hide in the ferns.

I've asked because I have 6 slender rasboras, which I came across completely by chance and have not seen since in any LFS. Despite dense vegetation and good care they seem to be very jittery and nervous. During the day they like to hide and come out only after 8 PM. I have no experience breeding them, but I want to do it at some point. I know they spawned in the tank at least once during my absence because they all became thin exhausted looked terribly beaten by the time I returned from work. They also seem to be very fragile. I lost one due to the pop-eye, most likely resulting from the trauma during spawning, another one to TB and yet another one disappeared without a trace while I was away for a few days. So now I am down to 4 males and two females and the females are again becoming plumpy. I'll give them a try in the next few weeks.