Glossolepis Dorityi " Lake Nenggwambu"

Rainbowric

Glossolepis dorityi "Lake Nenggwambu" or sometimes known as the Zig Zag Rainbowfish!

So far we have only spoke of one other species from the Glossolepis Genus....Glossolepis wanamensis.

You will notice a fairly similar body shape. No not quite as long fins and not green!

Don't see many fish from the Glossolepis Genus as they are a little more difficult to breed. Much smaller fry and they do not grow quite as fast. Before you will see them in the LFS at the same size as the Melanotaenia species, they are probably two to three months older then them. They also take more time to develope the colors they have, so they are not quite breed as much.

Lake Nenggwambu was facing disaster with Global warmings so Gary Lange made an expedition to collect some of these wonderful fish before possible extinction. He was able to bring home a sample of these fish (wild caught) and I was able to get some F1 eggs from him.

Below a picture of one of my males.

dorityi_b.jpg

The female ..though not quite as colorful... has plenty of attitude to make up for it.

dorityi_d.jpg

In addition if you never had the female you would never be able to see just how magnificiant the male can be.

dorityi_a.jpg

Here he is in the shade of a plant flashing the red strip down his nose...letting the female know where he is.

dorityi_c.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed these pics ....

Regards

Ric

--------------------------------

"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!

Edited by Rainbowric

I thought that you might like this fish Jerry ....looks very similar to the Glossolepis incisus (Red Rainbowfish).. actually a recent DNA test, not official, has indicated that this one the G. incisus and G. multisquamata are all the same fish. Not official, some say we need a better DNA test... :) but regardless they are quite similar. In addition I have seen a few pictures of the G. dorityi fish from Lake Jaigum that are almost all red. Hmmm .....wonder which one they had used for the DNA test.

Are you still keeping the G. incisus? If you are I would be happy to start a thread for the G. incisus. I won't run a thread for it unless a specimen of adequate quality it is available in Alberta. Currently I am not aware of any pure stock left in North America. Many were crossed with the very familiar G. psuedoincisus (Millenium Rainbowfish) which has damaged both the psuedoincisus & incisus reputation.

Sad ...because once, the Glossolepis incisus was probably the most common Glossolepis Rainbowfish to be seen in the LFS ... The Red Rainbowfish... now it is probably a cross and if it isn't few experts could not tell you if it was or is not. I know of one Rainbowfish collector of over 20 years experience believing he had a colony of psuedoincisus, was told by Heiko Bleher who discovered them, that they were not. He took the hit pretty well saying that at least now he has one of the nicest colonies of incisus. Well many would believe they are to nice to be incisus.... :unsure:

I don't believe that the G. incisus is totally lost as there are a few colonies in Germany that appear to be pure and of course the nicest colony of G. incisus can be viewed here .....Glossolepis incisus in Bulgaria! I like to pass this link on to people that ask also if Rainbowfish get along well with Discus. :)

Thanks for the compliments of my photography! I am hoping some day that my skills may be of that of Aquasaur from Bulgaria. :)

Ric

Gary brought eggs and fish to Calgary John, so he might have brought both to Edmonton. Unfortunately Paul and James from Regina took the eggs home from the Calgary auction. My boy posted is just about 2.5 years old, as he was almost a year when Gary brought the fish and eggs to Alberta. All of the fish and eggs that Gary brought up were F1's from his group of wild caught.

Ric