Glossolepis Multisquamata - Pagai Village

Rainbowric

Glossolepis multisquamata - Pagai Village ....another Glossolepis ....I think my favourite! The Glossolepis wanamensis was talked a lot last year but I had raised well over 100 of them and they were thought to be extinct in the hobby, mostly in the USA. The Glossolepis dorityi we were lucky to have a group of wild caught in North America so we saw lots of F1's available. You will see that there is quite a few similarities between the 3 species ....why they are all in the Glossolepis Genus or family.

What makes this Glosso one of my favourite is how strong and healthy it is. Sure they are a little more difficult to breed and they do take a long while to mature. I obtained a group of F2's from Gary Lange about 2.5 years ago and immediately raised a small group of them. Not really knowing how fanstastic they looked when they fully matured out, I had 3 pairs from Gary and ended up selling the small group that I raised up. This species of Rainbowfish does extremely well in a group and not so well by itself. When I kept them as a group they thrived and put on many wild shows for me over the years. When I separated them they did not do so well.

So I believe that if you want to keep this species you should have at least 2 pairs of them so you will experience the many color variations that this fish has to offer. You may notice that the colors can be quited different based on the mode of the fish from the pictures I will show you.

This is one of the males that I obtained from Gary ....F2

multisquamata_pagai_c.jpg

There anal fin is long but not quite as long as the wanamensis. The anal fin does tend to fray a little but my wanamesis fry quite a bit as well.

multisquamata_pagai_d.jpg

The female ...well not advised to be mixed with females from the wanamensis or dorityi. They are fairly pale in color and the body shape quite similar as well between the three species. Probably one of the reasons contributing to so many hybrids in the hobby!

multisquamata_pagai_b.jpg

When these males gets worked up the red, starting from the head, really starts to come out of them!

multisquamata_pagai_f.jpg

As with all rainbows the dominant male strip down the nose during breeding!

multisquamata_pagai_g.jpg

I think in this photo above he also had some competition to deal with for the female!

Yes we have seen this kind of color change with a number of rainbows during spawning and sparring with other males but with the multisquamata it was daily. They are so prolific! I put together a few mops of eggs for some breeders and within a couple of days there were 100's of eggs in the mop.

After chasing around the other females for the morning and sparring with the other males you might see him just relaxing in the shade of the bog wood and see him in a different set of colors.

multisquamata_pagai_a.jpg

Here is a post that I did on the Glossolepis multisquamata last year on the Rainbowfish forum. Two males sparring with each other and then a spawn. You will notice that there are not to many pictures with the fish having the same coloration.

By having all the colors of the rainbow ....I think this fish definitely deserves to be called a Rainbowfish!

Hope you have enjoyed these pics ....

Regards

Ric

--------------------------------

"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!

Young multisquamata at about 2 inches .... just starting to color up ...

IMG_0641.jpg

The praecox in this picture is about 1.5 inches ...

multisquamata_a.jpg

Will post a couple more pictures in a couple of weeks. This time of there developement is quite rapid!

Ric

Hi Rainbowric. This is James and Paul from Regina. I would be interested in getting some of the Dorityi. I had some hatch from the eggs I bought from Gary, All females but one runted mis-shaped male and I don't want to breed them because of it. I'll let you know the next time we make a trip to Calgary. Hopefully in a couple months time. James and Paul.

P.S. Anything new and exciting I would be interested in too.....LOL My chilatharina aleni are doing great and breeding, as are my Melanotania SP."Blue Hole/BONGA"

James ....Paul .... great and not so great to see you guys on the forum! Now I really got to be careful what I say with you two experts watching me. :) As soon as I get a breediing tank free, I could get a mop of eggs fired down to you in a nice little styro box and heat pack.

New stuff ....Gary is still sitting on them.. stripped praecox ..... couple of very nice Chilatherina's and the Glossolepis kabia.... He is pretty set on waiting for warm weather before shipping now though.