Seachem Safe Dosage

Znaika

Subject: Re: Seachem Safe dose

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 10:13:05 -0500

Hello,

Thank you for the email and for using Safe. We are sorry for the discrepancy. The website is the most updated version of the dosing instructions. Unfortunately, there are still older labels in circulation with the older instructions on them. The difference, however, is not a dangerous difference and should not cause any issues within the aquarium if dosed at the instructions on the older labels.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Product Support

On Dec 24, 2012, at 12:04 AM, Znaika wrote:

> "Hello,

> Directions on my bottle say 5 grams treat 200 gallon of water from chlorine (4 ppm).

> Directions on the web say 5 grams treat 450 gallon of water from chlorine (4 ppm) and warn not to overdose.

> Why is there a difference and what directions am I supposed to follow?

> Thanks

• 2 years later...

I dunno WTF is going on, but it appears as of 2015 Seachem has changed this yet again.

NOTE. These directions supersede all other prior packaging.

Directions for 10 g and 50 g

Use 100 mg Safe (scoop) per each 100 L (25 gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or per 25 L (6 gallons) for ammonia.

Directions for all other sizes

Use 1.25 g (1/4 tsp.) for every 1,250 L (300 gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or use 1.25 g (1/4 tsp.) for every 300 L (75 gallons) for ammonia.

May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite and nitrate in an emergency, up to 4 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

I have been using approximately 1 gram per 100 gallons for a year with no issues. Measured it once or twice to get an idea what it looked liked then estimate for tank size. Likely have used up to two times as much, at times. Fish are fine.

I bought my Safe a few years ago, and whenever I put some in a new pkg to have near my tanks (home or work, etc.) I write on the container w/ a sharpie the dosing instructions. I am currently using 1/4 tsp per 100gal, which will definitely take care of any Chloramine, as well as any ammonia (which is not there anyway....).

I bought my Safe a few years ago, and whenever I put some in a new pkg to have near my tanks (home or work, etc.) I write on the container w/ a sharpie the dosing instructions. I am currently using 1/4 tsp per 100gal, which will definitely take care of any Chloramine, as well as any ammonia (which is not there anyway....).

Exactly,...... 1/4 teaspoon = 1 gm at least on my NOT so accurate gram scale.

I am sure, that I am "overdosing " the smaller tanks as I do not measure but guess.

J

My point was Seachem appears to have reduced their dosage rate from one teaspoon per 300 gallons, to 1/4 teaspoon per 300 gallons. That's a rather significant reduction. That, or someone made a major mistake on their website. Either way I'll find out and post back.

In response to my comment someone posted the following on MFK earlier today. I'm not too sure how that was supposed to simplify things, but whatever ........

According to a response from one of Seachem's reps on their forum, the directions were simplified but the formulation is still the same. It used to be one tsp per 200gal removes 4ppm chlorine, now its 1/4 tsp per 300gal for 1.25ppm chlorine.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...