A couple of days ago, I went out and purchased a pair of apistos. So far, they seem to be adapting really well to their new home. I was just taking a moment to observe them and noticed the female getting quite territorial with the convict cichlids I have (about 2 months old; they and the apisto are similar size). There seems to be a couple of spots where she had been particularly keen on chasing off the convicts. After seeing that, I figured she might be ready to breed! Shortly after watching them some more, I noticed the male apisto chasing the female around. It seems way more playful than when the female would go after the convicts. Is that another potential sign of breeding? Thank you and Merry Christmas!

When she's getting ready to breed, she'll be bright yellow with jet black markings. Seeing them push back at 'bigger' fish is a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm bringing this topic back up, but I just didn't want to make a new topic (and it's regarding my Triple Reds..). I'm rockin' a community tank with schools of neon and glowlight tetras, 3 wicked little corys, a long finned albino bristlenose pleco, and my apistos. I had seven ruthless convicts, but I had to relocate them (at least I'm not irresponsible with my fish) due to them becoming way to big for their little tank mates. I guess my question is, with the convicts gone, do you figure the apistos will have a better chance of breeding? I haven't seen the female as yellow as she was for the few days after I got the pair. Thanks.

My bn plecos always ate any eggs after the lights went out.

With blue moon lights some fish (larger africans) managed to defend the eggs, but others didn't seem to realize that the plecos were actually a fish and the plecos ate the eggs.

Next time you see them entering breeding colors, move the pleco to another tank or if you have no other suitable tank, try adding a chunk of zuccinni for the pleco. I am betting the pleco will go for the eggs over zuccinni though.