• 3 weeks later...

For those interested, I have secluded the pair into their own tank and within half a day of realizing that they weren't going to be bothered by anything else, they started courting and swimming together without him trying to beat on her. Plus, she turned bright yellow and has a very noticeable jet black strip on her sides. In the only tank they were in before, given the bottom feeders I have, I doubt any eggs would have survived. Now, they have their own little "cave" to breed. It's not a coconut or a plant pot, but it'll work just the same.

When it comes to the apistos and how they always seem to be like they're gonna breed, I'm never certain what's up with them. Last night, I noticed that he was just kinda hanging around the back of the little house, where as she's inside and hasn't come out for a while. I've tried to see if there's any eggs in there, but without picking it up and checking, it's impossible to know for sure. I don't like disturbing their environment, so I haven't check. Plus, I heard that if you disturb the area while there are eggs around, they could just kill them off.

Okay... these fish are really weird. Right as I'm writing this, she comes out and started munchin'.. I wish I had some idea as to what's going on in that tank..

This picture is when I first set up the tank:

20130127_192336.jpg

Get a clay pot from Micheals. Be sure she can fit through the hole in the bottom but not him. Turn it upside down and she will protect the hole and eggs from everyone who tries to get in. And like everyone else said. Be patient. Just when you stop looking all the time, they will breed.

Jay

Apistos usually do best when only the female can fit in the cave; however, line bred Cackatoos often don't care. If she's staying in the cave and not coming out, there's a good chance she's either protecting or wants to. If you go another month without seeing fry, grab a pot like Jay suggests and see if things do progress.