Lil Help Pls:d

Mokos

Ive noticed a growth on the tail fin of 1 female front, and not to sure what it is. Shes had it maybe 4 days ish and its gotten a little better after more salt and w/c.

DSC_0202.jpg

While the other female got into a spat with alpha male I can assume. She had a few fine scrapes on her head amd is healing fine, but it almost looks like she has the same spot on her head aswell. Ive looked online last night and tonight and didnt find anything really. Their both flashing their fins aswell.

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

Shes also swimming sideways or angled in one spot. So I gave em peas amd letting them fast for a day then ill do peas again. Im guessing shes got swim bladder due to constipation so ill see. Water parameters are 0-0-20ppm nitrate. They all seem to be happy and eat like pigs, but my gut has been telling me their is something underlying since I got them. I feed them every other day with pellets and twice a week they get frozen krill or mysis. Ive just started adding garlic to their pellets aswell. ( just dripping very little in a cup and swish it around kinda thing). Sorry for their life story haha but I think thats everything :D

Jeff

Parasites are in our tanks - period. So when a fish is stressed, the parasite will try to take advantage. I think that's what you have here - whether its ich or not, doesn't really matter. What you're doing is what I'd do; just remember that when the parasite is in the cyst stage, it's virtually indestructible, so keep up the salt treatment for a week after the spot goes away - that's when the parasite is susceptible to the treatment.

Hey Jeff!

Fronts will sometimes angle themselves when confronted with another aggressive tank mate as a sign of submission. You did mention that they have been a little aggressive towards each other so i'm only basing it on that. You can try to diffuse the aggression by creating more caves/territory or by adding more females so that the alpha isn't always picking on the female.

Personally,I would also monitor for float illness; I do know that some people say that 'pims are more predisposed for this illness. Haha that means no more floating pellets! Unfortunately if there is a onset of float, there isn't much you can do unless you want to try to draw the air out with a syringe.

Looks like you got everything down and it's great that you're taking some precautions before things get bad. Also, I'd check to see if if they are "regular" to rule out bloat and parasites. Atleast everyone is eating so I usually take that as a good sign!

Lastly, for the bumps and bruises, I know lots of hobbyist use melafix; I use mine on my discus when the get spooked and scrapped up.

Edited by tomuhs

Hey thanks for the help guys, ill keep on the salt like u said jvision.

I switched my tank around 2 weeks ago to get more caves in their. And I have a little bird in Harolds ear for a couple more females, but well see as their harder to find at that size. They all seem regular had a couple pink feces after the krill but I took that as normal. Ill keep an eye on em theres no bloat yet. the odd scale seems to be flaking off but I think its from aggression when the lights go out. Ill see about getting some melafix aswell :D

Thanks again guys!

Little update their all swimming nicely and are regular :D females still have the white (cysts). But they dont seem affected. Now wierd thing is water parameters.... 0.25/0/80. Find it wierd because I check twice a week normally. And that read tonight also have a bit of brown algae not alot but im thinking to much waste and food possibly? So did a w/c and added prime. Haha im not skilled in math so I just did a double dose.... Hoping that takes care of some of it. Im new to prime aswell and am open to suggestions for its amount use. I just find it wierd how the tank went from cycled to its current state. I did get a big cycled sponge from a member a while back to help cycle. Not a big emergency any help is appreciated :)

Just thinking aloud but I think brown algea is common in newer tank set ups? I did clean my sump tonight with tank water. Found alot of grubby stuff which I cleaned/ rinsed with tank water. Which I know is normal but there was alot of it lol. Mind u im only used to cleaning canisters which are tiny in comparison. Again thinking aloud folks

Jeff

Ha! May have found the problem.... Chatting with my lovley wife about it all. I was away last week and during that time my 16 inch common plec passed. Bless my wife who isnt terribly into fish, took him out.i asked if she noticed when she thought he passed. But she wasnt sure on the exact day she noticed him not moving... My guess is he had at most 2 1/2 days to fester.Could explain the (cysts) on the females. I must have made an error when I tested the water when I got home, doh!! At least now it makes a little more sense as to their behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything has been good the last few days. Might try to rescape or just take out some rock and toss in flower pots just so there is less chance for injury. Just set up a 30 and might move the 2 electric yellows over as she spat her fry out and are ballsy fish to stand up to a front that could just eat them. I think there buggin the fronts to much now that their breeding all the time. Just to try and catch those buggers.....