Hydor Eth With Fx5 Filter Or Eheim 2075

timbruun

I don't used the ribbed hoses on one of my FX5s - just PVC (flex for the first few inches to get it out the back of the cabinet, then hardline into the tank). You could use a 3/4" PVC return and just reduce it thru the heater. I did that on an Eheim a few years ago. Reducing the output is fine (up to a point), but you should never reduce the input.

Is the 5/8" going through the heater ok then? Is it going to be hard on the pump?

I guess the other option is to have a split on the output and have one of the splits go through the heater and the other with a valve to restrict a bit but still have flow. Or 2 inline heaters, one for each split and send to each end of the tank.

Can I just use normal clear 1 inch hose then and still use the same intake and output nozzles?

Edited by timbruun

I have a single 3/4" return, and its been running for a few years w/o problems. I would probably run a 3/4" return and just reduce down to 5/8" for the heater. However, I do like the split idea. I remember a thread on MFK where the guy had 2 or 3 3/4" returns from his FX5.

I have a 10" length of PVC that is capped and slotted on one side placed about 2/3 down the tank. I had it closer to the bottom, but would always get a filter full of sand.

sorry but i am going to jump in on this discussion. i am going to build my own spray bar and would like to hard pipe my fx5, but do you just use regular pvc cement when you glue the pvc pipe together, or is there something special i need to us in order to not contaminate my water?

thanks

Yep. Just PVC glue is good. There's a product that is a primer and glue in one - I think it's called "Red Hot Blue Glue"