Adding More Ada Soil To An Existing Shrimp Tank?

Dukeswild

I have an existing Ada amazonia tank that's been going for about 6 months now with crs in it. They have all been doing fine, quite a few Berried females and a couple have already have baby's.

It's a 23g Long and has quite a bit less soil then my other shrimp tanks and the oh seems to sit abit higher then the others so I'd like to add more ada soil to lower ph and ensure its last as long as the other tanks.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried adding small amounts at a time and if it's had any negative effects on parameters? Or am I better on moving the in habitants ands adding then?

Thanks

I've dumped in some my ADA aquasoil in my Discus tank after getting advice from Norm (Pisces) that he's done it many times. Many ppl have commented on the release of ammonia when adding ADA to atank. I did indeed have a huge spike in Ammonia and a very cloudy tank for days but I didn't loose any fish. Water cleared up real nice and it's doing great now.

With that being said, I'm not too sure I would recommend just adding ADA with inverts as they are super sensitive. I would recommend either cycling the soil in a seperate tank/bucket or taking out the little fellas into a qt tank and doing a dry start. If i had time I would do a dry restart because you'll be able to plant a lot easier and you wont cloud up your water.

Best of luck!

Edited by tomuhs

Thanks tomuhs

Ya I had a chance to speak with Norm when I was in pickin up some more soil. And mentione to him my plan. Really I'm hoping to split a big bag between 2 tanks. Both have been going since the beginning of Xmas and well established. The one with breeding crs sss and the other with a few Amano till the new shipment arrives.

So the plan is to add a small amount each week to prevent any spikes and hopefully have a chance to adapt. Ill have to keep a close eye on the parameters and if anything is noticed ill have to move the crs group for the time being. Thanks again

if you want to add some substrate to lower to ph in your existing tank, my first choice would be ADA Africana over Amazonia. I doesn't leech as much ammonia as Amazonia. It will however lower your pH more than Amazonia so you won't have to use as much but at the same time you will have to be more careful about how much you add.

That being said, the amount of free ammonia in minimal at lower pH so some hobbyists don't worry too much about it as long as their tanks is cycled.

Thanks tomuhs

Ya I had a chance to speak with Norm when I was in pickin up some more soil. And mentione to him my plan. Really I'm hoping to split a big bag between 2 tanks. Both have been going since the beginning of Xmas and well established. The one with breeding crs sss and the other with a few Amano till the new shipment arrives.

So the plan is to add a small amount each week to prevent any spikes and hopefully have a chance to adapt. Ill have to keep a close eye on the parameters and if anything is noticed ill have to move the crs group for the time being. Thanks again

Cool keep us posted! Shrimps look so good with this substrate.