Anyone Keeping Interesting Apistogramma

jjt1

Just curious if what apistogramma people are keeping. I used to keep a lot if them and just recently started getting back into fish keeping. Anyone have any interesting wild forms? Seems shops only bring in tank bred strains that are not nearly as nice as the wild coloration.

Edited by jjt1

I have six Apistomgamma Elizabethae. Just little guys right now. The largest of the males is hand-some! Can't wait to see what they turn out like.

I also have the usual breeding groups of Blue Rams, Electric Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams and apistogramma agassizii. Love dwarf cichlids. Amazing little personalities.

• 2 months later...

I just got an Apistogramma Hongsloi off of someone on here who is shutting his tanks down. He's been in there about a week and is already quite the character! No shyness at all after I introduced him. Always coming up to greet me whenever I walk by and flares up whenever food hits the tank.

• 3 years later...

Old thread but I was looking for others interested in SA dwarf cichlids. I just got a pair of Apistogramma macmasteri from Big Al's in Edmonton. I was actually looking for A. hongsloi but was told at Aqua Central that the only ones that made commercial sense to bring in where the various captive bred strains with much bolder red colours. The A. macmasteri are likely captive bred to, I need to go back and ask, but they are relatively close to what wild specimens are supposed to look like, perhaps with a bit more pearly markings on the cheeks. Anyway, sometimes you fall in love with fish when you see them in the store and most of the time those purchases and up being good ones. They have quite a few more including many gorgeous males. I've got the prettiest girl though :)

PS: PetLand has two very nice green severums, about 2-2.5", but unfortunately two males. Very pretty though. Otherwise I find fish selection of SA cichlids and other less common SA fish rather limited in Edmonton. Still looking for Corydoras hasbrosus, Nannostomus eques, Dicrossus filamentosus, and Hemigrammus stictus (or Moenkhausia collettii will do as an alternative).

Check out Spencer Jack's list, he usually brings up some good SA fish. He's in Winnipeg, but it's usual pretty easy to get a group order together to split shipping costs... his shipping price is quite reasonable, any way

Thanks Jason, I've been keeping a weekly eye on his stock list and it is indeed the most promising supplier in Canada I have found so far, with Canadian Aquatics having some W/C as well (W/C rams at the moment). Right now nothing on my list but I'm sure if I'm patient, and that is the hard part, they will show up sooner or later. I should develop an interest in plecos as they seem to be all over the place.

• 1 month later...

Ok the only apistogramma I have right now are:

Red tail veijeta - 3m/2f

apsito panduro- 2m/2f

apisto agassizi dbl red - 5m/5f

apisto opal (blue borelli)- 4m/4f

Pelvichromis silvae- 2m/1f

Just need to change my setup so I'll be selling these now as I get a new setup built.

Edited by cjerrom