Hydor Eth Failed And Cooked My Tank :(

slingshotz

So I wake up this morning and look at my tank and notice that it's cloudy for some reason. Then I see that there are dead fish everywhere and my heart sinks. The tank is very warm to the touch, I did manage to save 5 fish so it looks like it happened overnight. So it looks like my Hydor eth 300 died and got stuck in the on position, even though the indicator light was off. The temperature dial was not moved or bumped.

I googled this and there are others that have had the same experience but it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem. It was running fine for over two years.

My tank is 92 gallons and I need a replacement heater. I really do like the way the Hydor worked and that it was external but I'm now wary of getting another one. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I'd like an inline to keep the inside of the tank less cluttered but I want something reliable. If I go with a Hydor again, I'm going to have to setup some temperature alart/control. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Sorry to hear that.

You could use a JBJ temp controller along with the Hydor ETH. Then if the ETH fails again, the temp controller should turn the power off to the ETH if the temp reaches the set point. I happen to have a controller sitting in my closet so I think I will back up my Hydor ETH right now.

That JBJ is exactly what I'm looking for. My tank is next to two exterior walls in a colder part of the room so while in the summer it would probably be fine, it might get too cool in the winter. The Hydor was already slightly undersized for my tank, never thought it could warm it up that much and never thought it would fail in a stuck on position. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that.

You could use a JBJ temp controller along with the Hydor ETH.

+1 on both accounts.

Fail-safes are cheap insurance depending on the cost to replace your plants and livestock. There's a market for controllers because heaters will eventually fail.

Perhaps you could try contacting Hydor and explain your circumstance. They might be willing to exchange your heater, gratis

I googled this and there are others that have had the same experience but it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem. It was running fine for over two years.

It's times like this when people will think, "Never again! Once bitten..." But any heater that's been on the market as long as the ETH inline is bound to have its share of failures, which is why controllers sell. If tragedies like yours were the norm, your internet search would've netted you a litany of complaints and boycotts that suggest the ETH is a lemon.

Each of my 200W were 2yrs old when I bought them. The fist one has been in service for 2yrs. All I do is pass a bottle brush through it when I'm doing canister maint.

I still think it's a good product slingshotz. Be brave and get back on the horse. Besides, any inline you look at, you'll compare to the Hydor ;)

Edited by Fisher