New Rainbowfish Available In The Hobby!

Rainbowric

With the warmer weather I see Gary Lange has been auctioning off some of his new collection on Aquabid.

Unfortunately he will not, like many other breeders, including myself will not ship, even though it is legal, across the border.

I am just going to post the links for now to the closed Aquabid auctions which will give you some information about them and how much they are going for now in the USA.

This first one ... well there was a legend that someone many years ago had seen a red stripped praecox. Well Gary went looking for it and thought that he had been able to get some. After a week of struggling through the jungle he came back with 2 pairs of this fish that were about 1 inch in length. He had it DNA tested and funny it was not a praecox!

MELANOTAENIA SP WAPOGA RED LASER

This was the highest bid ever recorded for 6 young fish on Aquabid!

Next ... well we have had the Chilatherina alleni "Siriwo" up here in Canada before however this one was collected from a different location.

CHILATHERINA ALLENI WAPOGA RIVER

The bid on Aquabid is not showing the picture. Think I have one that Gary has posted..

Chil_alleni_Wapoga_0535.jpg

Did well on this auction as well for 6 unsexed young fish at $251.00

This one is not quite as new as the other 2 as it was collected in 2010.

MELANOTAENIA SP DEKAI -- THE GOLDEN RAINBOW

To my knowledge we don't have any in Canada yet. I nice little dwarf rainbowfish that should no exceed 3 inches.

Another from an earlier collection -- still no avail in Canada.

MELANOTAENIA SP ( LUBAN VILLAGE)

I believe that there are a few more that will be entering the hobby here in North America this year. I will post more as they come.

It appears to be almost 3 to 4 years before these new fish arrive here in Canada. Maybe sooner as Gary does have some talks planned for next year in the East. I think the newest one in Canada, which I have is from his 2008 collection from Pagai. It is the Chilatherina fasciata "Pagai Village" which I aquired last year and which I am breeding now.

C_fasciata_Pagai_Village_zps447e5be1.jpg

Cheers

Ric

--------------------------------
"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!

Edited by Rainbowric

I had another comment, but kept it private!

Looks like the economy is not so bad on the US

WOW INDEED

John

Edited by geleen

I was looking at Gary's Aquabid ads just the other day. Pretty amazing offerings up for grabs!

Today was pretty exciting, sold (buy one get 2 free) all my fish out of my 75 gallon so I can plant it and make room for some more Rainbows! Aquired 2 pairs of Melanotaenia Bosemani "Lake Aytinjo" today, just need a whack of plants. Lol.

• 7 months later...

and I thought this was going to be my last breeding of bows ......... it is geleen and Jayba's fault ...... they insisted we go for it ... so we all partnered up and made a run for the USA!

Well they are here .... thought it would be at least another year before we would see these fish here in Canada. In fact not only are they here, but they are producing eggs here in Canada already. geleen took a mop of eggs home from the Chilatherina alleni "Wapogo" last week!

Breeding group of F1's .... Chilatherina alleni "Wapogo"

Chil_alleni_Wapoga_0535_zpsa8fa8c5d.jpg

And of course we also picked up some of Gary's new Red Lazer, Rainbowfish ..... yes we thought they were going to be called a stripped praecox, however the DNA is not even close to that of the praecox ... so it appears so far to be a new species.

Breeding group of F1's ... Melanotaenia spec. "Wapogo" Lazer

Mel_sp_WapogaRedLaser_1700_zpsb80bb73d.j

Mel_sp_WapogaStP_CW_0890_zps314442b4.jpg

Interesting they found both fish in the same body of water ... what a great idea for a show tank ... C. alleni and Red Lazer!

Mark N. figured since we were making a run for the border that he would contribute to the haul and send up some Psuedomugil mellis. The first bunch to hit Canada, this is a sweet little blue-eyed species that grows just a little more then the Psuedomugil gertrudae. A group of these will be nice to see in the smaller tanks with the shrimp.

Psuedomugil " mellis "

mel1_zpsf328786d.jpg

Also a little video of this sweet honey blue-eyed rainbowfish ....

Click here for video of the P. mellis

The last species is one that has not been released yet in the USA! It has been released in Europe and the Germans are loving them! Gary was not going to released this species here in North America until next year, but was getting concerned about border crossings and thought if there was a chance to get it up here, then better take it. It did make the cover of a aquatic magazine in Europe, and was said to be the most prettiest species of the Chilatherina Genus. Gary argues with the Germans about which is prettiest, however he does say that pictures does not say it all with regards to the Chilatherina alleni "Wapogo" and the Chilatherina spec. "Upper Tor". Below is a link about this new species with a number of pictures from different collectors in Europe. Also note the coloration changes from different enviroment and food, which is common with many species from the Chilatherina Genus .....

Rainbowfish.info - C. spec. " Upper Tor"

Now let see if I can get this right .... The C. alleni "Wapogo is a new variation to the C. alleni species, as the C. spec. "Upper Tor" is a new species to the Genus of Chilatherina which has not been officially named yet, why it has spec. in it's name. Similar to the Melanotaenia spec. "Wapogo" and Gary has called them the Red Lazer however it has not been officially named.

and a picture from Gary Lange of the Chilatherina spec. "Upper Tor" River

Chil_sp_Upper_TorRiver_1301_zps93421177.

I just pulled a mop from these guys tank and it is full of eggs as well!

I guess I will need to change the topic tag now on this thread and say they will be available soon in Canada!

Special thanks to my partners in acquiring this bunch of great fish .... geleen & Jayba !

Regards

Ric

--------------------------------
"Melanotaenia boesemani from Lake Aytinjo"

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Aytinjo variant does have stronger colours!